Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roger Penrose is a hack
Roger Penrose is a hack
I just finished watching this disgusting video where "mathematician" and "physicist" Roger Penrose says there are three worlds. The physical world, the abstract world, and the mental world and that they're related and somehow interact with each other. Where is his proof that the abstract and mental world exist? And how could physical realities interact with non-physical realities?

What in the hell is this guy talking about? We all know from our Google research, YouTube videos, and skimming Wikipedia articles that there is only matter and energy. How can this guy call himself a scientist? Wow just wow.

Moderator Notice
Link removed due to 30/30 violation.
RE: Roger Penrose is a hack
(May 31, 2020 at 12:51 pm)brokenreflector Wrote: ...What in the hell is this guy talking about? We all know from our Google research, YouTube videos, and skimming Wikipedia articles that there is only matter and energy. How can this guy call himself a scientist? Wow just wow.

Moderator Notice

Well fancy that.

(May 31, 2020 at 12:16 am)brokenreflector Wrote: It's a non-sequitur to say because X is made up of matter and energy that therefore it cannot be produced or affected by an immaterial being.
Miserable Bastard.
(May 31, 2020 at 12:57 pm)Succubus#2 Wrote:
(May 31, 2020 at 12:51 pm)brokenreflector Wrote: ...What in the hell is this guy talking about? We all know from our Google research, YouTube videos, and skimming Wikipedia articles that there is only matter and energy. How can this guy call himself a scientist? Wow just wow.

Moderator Notice

Well fancy that.

(May 31, 2020 at 12:16 am)brokenreflector Wrote: It's a non-sequitur to say because X is made up of matter and energy that therefore it cannot be produced or affected by an immaterial being.

I see that somebody isn't familiar with sarcasm.

You caught me. I'm guilty of agreeing with one of the top scientists and mathematicians of our time.
Jerkoff
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(May 31, 2020 at 12:51 pm)brokenreflector Wrote: I just finished watching this disgusting video where "mathematician" and "physicist" Roger Penrose says there are three worlds. The physical world, the abstract world, and the mental world and that they're related and somehow interact with each other. Where is his proof that the abstract and mental world exist? And how could physical realities interact with non-physical realities?
That is such a fucked up question that it is difficult to identify where to start. So what are you suggesting? Neither abstraction nor mind esist? Or WTF?

(May 31, 2020 at 12:51 pm)brokenreflector Wrote: What in the hell is this guy talking about?
It is hardly our problem that you are to dense to work it out, is it? In effect, your claim is that if you cannot understand it, then nobody can understand it. That is a colossally stupid position to take. I could lecture you for hours about dopant and etchants wused to build the device to are using to post right here. Open heart surgery? Not a chance. I am not in that space and would not pretend to any expertise in such at all. You appear to have no such brakes. Good luck with that.

(May 31, 2020 at 12:51 pm)brokenreflector Wrote: We all know from our Google research, YouTube videos, and skimming Wikipedia articles that there is only matter and energy. How can this guy call himself a scientist? Wow just wow.
And that is the extent of your knowledge. Googabumble. Yooboob and Wiki. No personal learning of your own. That's sad.

(May 31, 2020 at 12:51 pm)brokenreflector Wrote:
Moderator Notice
Just look at that. It is evidence that you cannot even read the membership agreement THAT YOU VOLUNTARILY SIGNED AS A CONDITION FOR BEING HERE.

So what are the chances that you understood anything else?

Nil.
(May 31, 2020 at 12:51 pm)brokenreflector Wrote: I just finished watching this disgusting video where "mathematician" and "physicist" Roger Penrose says there are three worlds. The physical world, the abstract world, and the mental world and that they're related and somehow interact with each other. Where is his proof that the abstract and mental world exist? And how could physical realities interact with non-physical realities?

What in the hell is this guy talking about? We all know from our Google research, YouTube videos, and skimming Wikipedia articles that there is only matter and energy. How can this guy call himself a scientist? Wow just wow.

Moderator Notice

Hilarious

Moderator Notice

Is this the video you gave the link to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Q6SWcTA9w

It's a fascinating talk.

I don't think he acknowledges it in the video, but the Three Worlds idea comes from Karl Popper. Here is the Wikipedia page on the subject. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popper%27s_three_worlds

At the bottom of the Wiki page is a link to Popper's original paper on the subject. It's surprisingly short. (It wasn't opening for my computer, but my wifi is slow this time of day.)

http://tannerlectures.utah.edu/_document...pper80.pdf

The concept is both useful and challenging. Materialists should at least be aware of the ideas, and, if they're honest, think about how it affects their views.
And bashing one of the greatest minds of the 20th/21 century because you watched a clip and did some cursory internet research .......Lame
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

You're aware that popper thought that dualism and any other supernatural whatsit was absolutely the best example of poor thinking, right? That neither man was discussing what the OP thinks they were, and that nothing in either mans remarks is challenging for materialists in the slightest?

If you weren't already...it's in your own link.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 31, 2020 at 7:19 pm)Belacqua Wrote: http://tannerlectures.utah.edu/_document...pper80.pdf

The concept is both useful and challenging. Materialists should at least be aware of the ideas, and, if they're honest, think about how it affects their views.

Posting a 27 page pdf to make a point? GTFOOH!
Miserable Bastard.