Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 Fewer Assholes in the World
300 Fewer Assholes in the World
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/j...12-02.html

Quote:With one notable exception. Another respected man with one name, Marijan, refused to leave, insisting there was no danger. His words carried weight because he was the so-called gatekeeper of the volcano.

In the world of Javanese mysticism, the gatekeeper protects the people of Yogyakarta by communicating with the spirit of the volcano, Grandfather Merapi.

I guess the volcano's "communication" was "FUCK YOU!"
RE: 300 Fewer Assholes in the World
Errrm.... I read the thread title rather too literally.....
(February 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: Errrm.... I read the thread title rather too literally.....

Literally works well enough... didn't they get burnt to a crisp by a volcano? If there is an asshole among them... I would be surprised.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Yeah...i'm pretty sure it's kindda taboo to...you know...Insult dead innocent people Big Grin
(February 22, 2011 at 4:26 am)Rwandrall Wrote: Yeah...i'm pretty sure it's kindda taboo to...you know...Insult dead innocent people Big Grin

Luke: So Dist is dead now...
Jade: ...He was a fool, chasing an impossible dream to the end.
Luke: A dream...?
Jade: A promise made by two foolish children long ago. A foolish dream of overcoming death.
Luke: Jade...you mean--
Jade: Luke, I believe you promised not to talk about that.
Luke: Are you okay with that?
Jade: I will accept Dist's--Saphir's--death.
Luke: As an old friend?
Jade: No, as his owner. He was a charming pet.

What about dead people makes it taboo to insult them? Their being dead doesn't stop me from respecting some people, and it won't stop me mocking others. If anything, it is the living that should not be insulted... because they can punch you in the face ^_^
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Give them all the Darwin Award.
(February 22, 2011 at 4:26 am)Rwandrall Wrote: Yeah...i'm pretty sure it's kindda taboo to...you know...Insult dead innocent people Big Grin

Speaking ill of the dead is as much discouraged as speaking ill of one who cannot and has no others to fight for them.

Other than that, fair game.

As long as there are human beings who use their minds to defend themselves and others, alive or in memory, this will be a non-issue.

But stupid is as stupid does and I calls them as I sees them.
I'd rather speak ill of the dead than of the living. The living have feelings. This is why I usually don't speak ill of the dead either though, the living don't like it, it hurts their feelings.
At least they kept to themselves and the volcano, imagine if the radically religious (in the rest of the west) did the same?
That 300 people with silly beliefs died automatically makes them assholes? No consideration of their possibility of being otherwise good people as usual....

170 "assholes" died during the tonga/samoa tsunami, another win by your standards min?