Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:16 pm

Poll: Should the word 'retard' be classed as hate speech on the Forum?
This poll is closed.
Yes
35.29%
6 35.29%
No
64.71%
11 64.71%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Proposing A Rule Change
Proposing A Rule Change
There's been some discussion among Staff about the 'hate speech' rule. This rule specifically disallows the use of slurs related to race, gender, sex and sexual orientation.

What would you all think about slightly expanding the rule to cover intellectual disability?  This has come up because the word 'retard' seems to be getting used more and more on the forum, along with variations such as 'libtard'.

A lot of people consider this word highly offensive and hurtful, particularly those people who have a family member or work with the mentally disabled.

Please vote and post your thoughts.  And PLEASE be mindful that this is a 'Serious' thread.  Thanks.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Proposing A Rule Change
I'm fine with referring to a moronic imbecile as a trumpecile or pencornic.

Those that are willingly ignorant, do not deserve to be shelided from their stupidity.
I think it would be a fair extension of the rule. People have so many options to choose from to call someone dumb. No need to use the exact same word that is used to dehumanize people with intellectual disability when used as an insult.
I have always hated use of the word *retard* and years ago taught my kids that it's unacceptable. It has always bothered me that people think it's okay to use. All the new variations are equally offensive. I would be completely behind adding it to the list of unwelcome slurs as that's what it is.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Words -

If there are words you dislike - don't use them.

If other people use them and it bothers you - there is the "ignore button".

I find self-censorship is the only good censorship.
Decades ago in my youth I volunteered in the care of what was then termed Down's syndrome, nowadays Trisomy 21.

The thing that I learned from that, was that they are people just like the rest of us. No different.

So yes, the term "retard" is offensive.

That said, there is a problem with regulating it. I know of one chap who was censured for using the term. He was merely talking abut reducing the rotational speed of a device in an entirely friendly benign discussion about, IIRC, a proposed perpetual motion device. That then devolved into a strange bun fight with moderation. Needless to say, I did not participate, but I sure as hell ate a lot of popcorn. It was an afternoon cheap soap opera.

My point here is a pragmatic one. "retard the throttle" is normal speech in aviation circles. "throttle the retard" is composed of the same words, but means something very different. Are the mods willing to police every instance of that word, parse it for meaning and intent, pass judgment and deal with the inevitable rules lawyering? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't.
(June 11, 2020 at 7:15 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Words -

The "ignore" button cuts YOU off from the conversation. The person using demeaning hateful language is free to proceed on, leaving them, in the end, as the only voices heard.
(June 11, 2020 at 7:22 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(June 11, 2020 at 7:15 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Words -

The "ignore" button cuts YOU off from the conversation. The person using demeaning hateful language is free to proceed on, leaving them, in the end, as the only voices heard.

If someone is a real knock kneed idiot and everyone puts them on ignore - haven't they effectively gone away?
If I could erase all the hurtful slurs in the archive it wouldn’t be what we have now ( and possibly a third of the size). I have a handicapped brother and sister And grew up around A support circle that comprised a lot of under-represented people. I find the word highly offensive and the derivatives such as Christard. That being said logging onto a forum is engaging in a social contract where there is implicit opportunity to be offended. I’m actually not a fan of the slur rule. I wouldn’t want the responsibility of adjudicating it and actually recommend it be abolished for a clearer definition of flaming. I’m ok with people being offensive to me and others. I’m not ok with that being the only interaction. Posting repetitive slurs while adding nothing to the topic of the thread, should be corrected, but banning doesn’t seem to be too affective of a punishment for an emotional outburst, or to a troll which are the targets of the rule. I vote no.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 11, 2020 at 7:37 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(June 11, 2020 at 7:22 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The "ignore" button cuts YOU off from the conversation. The person using demeaning hateful language is free to proceed on, leaving them, in the end, as the only voices heard.

If someone is a real knock kneed idiot and everyone puts them on ignore - haven't they effectively gone away?
Some folks can't resist feeding a troll. It's a bad idea, even they admit it, but they can't stop.

(June 11, 2020 at 7:44 am)tackattack Wrote: If I could erase all the hurtful slurs in the archive it wouldn’t be what we have now ( and possibly a third of the size). I have a handicapped brother and sister And grew up around A support circle that comprised a lot of under-represented people. I find the word highly offensive and the derivatives such as Christard. That being said logging onto a forum is engaging in a social contract where there is implicit opportunity to be offended. I’m actually not a fan of the slur rule. I wouldn’t want the responsibility of adjudicating it and actually recommend it be abolished for a clearer definition of flaming. I’m ok with people being offensive to me and others. I’m not ok with that being the only interaction. Posting repetitive slurs while adding nothing to the topic of the thread, should be corrected, but banning doesn’t seem to be too affective of a punishment for an emotional outburst, or to a troll which are the targets of the rule. I vote no.
I had fun with the autocorrect a decade or so back. One person insisted on using a word that wasn't even remotely acceptable, so I filter it to "I said something stupid right here".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Hate Speech, rule 7 arewethereyet 24 2266 September 21, 2023 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6262 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  PSA: Added to threats rule arewethereyet 8 2716 May 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  PSA: The Necroposting Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 42 6270 April 6, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: brewer
  PSA - Clarification of rule #3 on doxxing. arewethereyet 18 3531 November 17, 2021 at 5:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  PSA: New Rule BrianSoddingBoru4 75 13415 July 22, 2019 at 8:19 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The 30/30 rule Losty 3 1255 June 27, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Pedophilia Rule Modification Tiberius 3 1156 June 27, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  New Rule - Promoting Terrorism Tiberius 65 11237 June 21, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Clickbait rule rescinded. Tiberius 26 4551 March 17, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne