Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of
Speaking of
Here’s a peek into the beginning of the Incubus/Elf novel I’m working on. Chapter one:

RE: Speaking of
At work.

Interesting.

Though it doesn't 'Hook' me I'm sad to say.

Still, all the very best and success with your word crafting!
(July 23, 2020 at 8:45 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

Interesting.

Though it doesn't 'Hook' me I'm sad to say.

Still, all the very best and success with your word crafting!

If I may ask, why doesn’t it hook you?
At work.

Hmmmm.....

It's a 'Slow burn'.

Some aspects of how you've described things seem 'Lacking' for want of a better descritor.

Obviously the roles of protagonists and adversaries will develop as thd words unfold.

It's just that the 'Central' character is, well, getting away with murder when the reader currently doesn't know the 'Why' of it.

Perhaps a scene before this with the character unfolding their description as they hunt closer to the quarry?

Also. If there's a definite 'Predator/Prey' dynamic happening then the 'Victim' should at least have a couple more hurdles that should need to be overcome.

Just an idea.

Cheers.
(July 23, 2020 at 8:58 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

Hmmmm.....

It's a 'Slow burn'.

Some aspects of how you've described things seem 'Lacking' for want of a better descritor.

Obviously the roles of protagonists and adversaries will develop as thd words unfold.

It's just that the 'Central' character is, well, getting away with murder when the reader currently doesn't know the 'Why' of it.

Perhaps a scene before this with the character unfolding their description as they hunt closer to the quarry?

Also. If there's a definite 'Predator/Prey' dynamic happening then the 'Victim' should at least have a couple more hurdles that should need to be overcome.

Just an idea.

Cheers.

See, I can’t do that for the very reason that every novel should not adhere to a mold. Art is about breaking that mold and creating a new one, not to be used by another artist but to show that there is more than one way to do something.
I'll put this on my post-op reading list. Read
At work.

Interesting.

Again all the very best for your endeavours! Big Grin
Finished another chapter. I like to keep them short, roughly 1k words per chapter. Currently working on chapter four.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 23, 2020 at 7:56 am)Eleven Wrote: Here’s a peek into the beginning of the Incubus/Elf novel I’m working on. Chapter one:

Something that's remarkable to me about American media (movies, popular novels, etc.) is its focus on killing. So much of it revolves around killing, and the killing has been aestheticized, so that how the killing is done becomes the creativity and pleasure of the work. 

So for example the John Wick movies have removed everything that isn't killing. He kills as many people as can be done in a two hour movie in the most stylish way possible. We cheer the stylishness of his killing. The new Tom Hanks movie about WWII is of course a war movie so they're trying to kill each other, but all the character development is reduced to a kind of shorthand -- just little symbols we're familiar with from other movies -- so that they can focus on the killing techniques. 

Sometimes I wonder if we're all being trained to get ready for the next war and the mass death that's coming. Killing and watching people die becomes a main focus of our entertainment. 

So that's what strikes me about your first chapter -- it's a stylized and stylish description of killing someone. It's an addition to one of the main themes in popular culture: finding creative portrayals of killing. It might sell a lot of copies.
Hey the bad guys killed Johns dog . And you just don't do that  Tut Tut

[Image: 059f0850-9a01-488a-9849-58d131230af5-1920-1080.jpg]
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM