Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cornel West
Cornel West
Someone brought him up on Reddit, and I had to look him up because honestly I have never heard of the guy before.

I do not recall him ever being mentioned on this forum, either.

Therefore, what is your opinion of the man, what he believes and teaches?
RE: Cornel West
He got the moves:

Cool guy basically.

Also have a look at this:

(August 11, 2020 at 2:55 am)Eleven Wrote: Someone brought him up on Reddit, and I had to look him up because honestly I have never heard of the guy before.

I mentioned him recently on another thread. Someone was claiming that Christianity, for black Americans, is only enslavement, and I pointed out that there are some very smart black people who disagree with that. 

West and Chris Hedges sometimes work together on politics, and I find them both very impressive. Moral and clear, and not deceived by fake-progressive promises.
I think he’d be more influential if he could be more politic.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 11, 2020 at 2:55 am)Eleven Wrote: Someone brought him up on Reddit, and I had to look him up because honestly I have never heard of the guy before.

https://podcastnotes.org/joe-rogan-experience/west/
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Neopragmatism is a heavy lift for me, though I think it has obvious merit as a descriptive theory of truth-making. Looks like there's alot of buzz about his unflattering but arguably true comments on the Obama presidency.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well, I think the same thing now that I know who he is as I did before I knew of his existence, which is, nothing.
I've seen him sometimes on Bill Maher and Democracy Now. I guess he is different than other clergy members because he tolerates gay people and calls them brothers and sisters, and he seems like a cool guy - so no wonder he is not as famous as his bigoted colleagues like Mitch Pacwa, Robert Jeffress, Pat Robertson, the Pope... because Christians love their preachers to be hateful.

And from what I remember in 2016, he was not for Trump nor Hillary but for something else.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"