Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building and destructing
Building and destructing
Which do you find the most work in a DIY home remodeling?

Me - the demolition is always the worst. (Unless you are doing a TOTAL demolition... Simply apply explosives)

I am gutting and remodeling a bathroom - in a 100 year old section of the house. Two layers flooring - two layers drywall, (gypsum board) hosed up plumbing (steel, PVC, PEX and copper lines).

Oak joists and studs - and I want to save the drywall on the ceiling.

Rotted out floorboards - ect ect....

The building part goes a lot easier in my book...

I spent two whole days just cutting up the fiberglass tub/enclosure....
RE: Building and destructing
In order:

We haven't gotten the stones yet but probably placing all the stones for a 10x10 patio is going to suck ass

Replacing soggy subflooring around a dishwasher

Replacing pipes connected to a shower spigot and all the hardware that went into making the diverter work again

Replacing the whole valve to update the shower in another bathroom

Drywalling a 10x10 shed

Laminate flooring on same shed

I'm sick of doing construction projects!
You're two far away for my son to come help with your demolition. Yeah, I hate the demolition part, having to be careful of the edges so that more work isn't created by the process. When my son worked for a general contractor he was the demo guy. Some other workers were chipping away at some drywall, taking it out in pieces. He tore a hole in the wall, reached in with some implement or another and pulled the whole thing down. He's even done it with wall sections that are tiled, like you'd find in a bathroom. Tear the whole section out and waltz off with it, for a lot faster job and a lot less mess.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Not for nothing I LOVE the demoing part! It is a PITA to remove drywall for instance, but to get it off and clean up all the screws or nails that attach it to prepare to install more drywall is rewarding to me. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.
You ain't ripping this drywall down easy.

It's 70 years old - on oak studs.... And in places there ate 3-5 nails in one spot - and some are 8 penny.....

It's slow, dusty work....
Definitely the demolition bit. At the house in Belfast,  I got permission to remove a wall to expand the kitchen. Turned out to be lath and plaster. Since the lath was largely ash (split, not sawn), I wanted to save as much of it as I could.

Removing an 8x10 section of wall took two months. The rest of the project took ten days.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 1, 2020 at 4:26 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Definitely the demolition bit. At the house in Belfast,  I got permission to remove a wall to expand the kitchen. Turned out to be lath and plaster. Since the lath was largely ash (split, not sawn), I wanted to save as much of it as I could.

Removing an 8x10 section of wall took two months. The rest of the project took ten days.

Boru
I have replaced most of the sand/lath in this house since I have lived here. (Since 1988) I filled the better part of a 10 yard dumpster doing it. (Poplar lath - not worth saving - or even burning) The only lath left is in the upstairs of the original house - now the SO's "walk in closet". How the hell do women collect SO many clothes?
(September 1, 2020 at 3:58 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: You ain't ripping this drywall down easy.

It's 70 years old - on oak studs.... And in places there ate 3-5 nails in one spot - and some are 8 penny.....

It's slow, dusty work....

BITCH, get a prybar! I kid, I know some of that shit is tough. When I ran in to real trouble I would just use a multi-tool to trim the nail off. That is far worse than prying and then using a hammer to get the nail out.
Yup.. Problem is I keep pulling the heads off.. I have 3 different pry bars a claw hammer a side grinder with a 1/32 x 4 1/2 inch abrasive wheel and a Sawzall with 3 types of blades.....

It's STILL slow going...
(September 1, 2020 at 6:16 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Yup.. Problem is I keep pulling the heads off.. I have 3 different pry bars a claw hammer a side grinder with a 1/32 x 4 1/2 inch abrasive wheel and a Sawzall with 3 types of blades.....

It's STILL slow going...

Jeesus, that sounds like a pain. I didn't have a grinder when I was peeling drywall. Luckily I got most of it with a couple pry bars and a hammer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lego-Type House Building BrianSoddingBoru4 4 525 May 1, 2018 at 8:56 am
Last Post: johan
  Building Bridges Catholic_Lady 37 2094 January 9, 2017 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Building HTPC Cheap wolf39us 21 3142 August 21, 2013 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Character-Building Advice. Lehrling 17 3594 October 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Building a computer, advice? Opinions? Live_free 11 3889 October 24, 2010 at 10:00 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  The official what the fuck is Synackaon building thread Autumnlicious 24 6866 May 3, 2010 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet