Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mysterious Sound
Mysterious Sound
I'm doing a renovation in my house - rebuilding the bathroom - all of the plumbing, and a good share of the wiring on the west end of the house. I'm working here alone - and usually have the radio turned on to NPR. Sometimes - I get sick of yelling at the radio - so I shut it off.

My hearing isn't very good - from years of riding motorcycles without a helmet, from gunfire, from radio static (I was a radioman in the service) - so I don't hear the bugs fart.

I keep hearing a ticktickticktick noise. It sounded vaguely metallic. About like somebody tapping a coin on a desk. I could hear it best next to the south wall - where there was no electric - except for a vent fan. The only water is the toilet drain and the drainage vents.

It was very rhythmic - between 110 and 115 bpm. Not loud - the radio covered it mostly.

Days go by - and I keep hearing it. The SO said she's never heard it.

Tickticktickticktick......

Grrrrrr...

I decide to get serious. I turn off all the electric in the house.

I go drain all the pressure out of the water pipes.

WTF?

Thing is - every once in a while it stops - and stays stopped for a while - making it all the more fun to try and find.

I go outside - and when I get close to where I hear it best inside - I hear it.

Mad

Then I look up and see it......

Guess what it was?

RE: Mysterious Sound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_un...ned_sounds
The ghost of renovations past?
Definitely aliens.
A watch stuck in your ear ?
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
Hmmm...so, not empty beer bottles rattling on your HVAC vents? I thought that was the cause of mysterious household noises.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Getting a flashback to my Punctual Cricket incident.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 22, 2020 at 7:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Getting a flashback to my Punctual Cricket incident.

Boru

It's the Intermittent Cricket that causes the real trouble. Just when you start to nod off, the little shit starts chirruping again.  Dodgy A susurrus is fine, but when it's ONE horny cricket...
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I love how funny language can sound. Brian37 16 2036 April 26, 2017 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How Evangelists Sound to Atheists Athene 31 3012 August 19, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Innocent add lines that sound funny....... Brian37 4 1791 January 7, 2015 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Alex K