Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irresponsible God
Irresponsible God
It often appears that religious people ascribe all manner of good things to God yet many likewise deny God as responsible for events we might characterize as harmful or bad.

Should a God actually have set the universe in motion, is this supposed God responsible for anything?

Is such a God responsible for all that we consider bad? Can such a God in the same vein be responsible for all that we consider good?

"People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Mythology for Profit
RE: Irresponsible God
Believers crack me up when they want to attribute anything good to their imaginary deity. But when bad things happen they either want to blame "Satan" or they say "God has his reasons".

A perfect example is when someone wants to praise "God" for giving us a beautiful, sunshiny day.

In this case, they are saying that "God" is responsible for the weather. Well, if he's responsible for a beautiful spring day, then he's also responsible for hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, floods, hail storms, sub-zero temperatures, etc....

Which means he's responsible for people dying, being seriously injured and having their homes destroyed.

Either "God" is responsible for all of it, or he's responsible for none of it. Which means if he's responsible for nice weather, he's also responsible for horrors caused by bad weather. But if he's not responsible for the bad weather, then he's also not responsible for the good weather. So why praise him for a nice day?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Thing that pisses me off is that this god thingy is our own creation ....
So where does THAT leave the blame game??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 28, 2011 at 11:45 am)Thor Wrote: Either "God" is responsible for all of it, or he's responsible for none of it. Which means if he's responsible for nice weather, he's also responsible for horrors caused by bad weather. But if he's not responsible for the bad weather, then he's also not responsible for the good weather. So why praise him for a nice day?

Not only that: he's also all-powerful and all-loving. But he was all-loving, how could he possibly not using his all-powerfulness to save his creation from such immense suffering. The problem of evil was one of the most convincing reasons to turn me away from belief. It makes utterly no sense. Believers so delude themselves that they can't see these glaring inconsistencies in God's supposed character.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
I had a brief discussion about this with other family members, some being very religious. When I asked if there was a god, why would he allow so much suffering? Their answer was: "The Devil did it".

Then I proceeded to ask, but if god is all powerful and all knowing, why can't he stop the devil from doing all these evil things?

Their answer? God sometimes works in ways we do not understand...

I decided to just change the conversation. What's the point when all the answers you are getting are full of willful ignorance?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Atheist I Evolved!
(February 28, 2011 at 11:05 pm)DiRNiS Wrote: Their answer? God sometimes works in ways we do not understand...

I decided to just change the conversation. What's the point when all the answers you are getting are full of willful ignorance?

That's the only answer they have ... to rely on not understanding his ways. I wonder: if we can't possibly understand "his ways," (which makes him capricious and unpredictable), how or why should we possibly worship him?
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
(February 28, 2011 at 11:48 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Thing that pisses me off is that this god thingy is our own creation ....

I think the god thingy in this day and age can be blamed fairly and squarely on those that perpetuate the belief either by teaching it or by following it.

Hard to understand that something invented 2600 years ago by donkey nomads can still, in the 21st century have such a hold on 25% of the World's population!

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
(March 1, 2011 at 12:08 am)ozgoat Wrote:
(February 28, 2011 at 11:48 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Thing that pisses me off is that this god thingy is our own creation ....

I think the god thingy in this day and age can be blamed fairly and squarely on those that perpetuate the belief either by teaching it or by following it.

Hard to understand that something invented 2600 years ago by donkey nomads can still, in the 21st century have such a hold on 25% of the World's population!

Only 25% of the worlds population? I thought it was WAY higher than that.
Quote:"God has his reasons".

Reason #1: He's a prick. ( Just read the OT)
This reminds me of an email exchange I had a while ago that displays the very self-centered jackassery typical in theists, the willingness to claim a blessing was given to them while others perished - This woman I was speaking to brought up an example of how she was lost when she was hiking in the mountains, she claimed that she was blessed and that a force carried her through - This was her 'proof' for the existence of God, and it was completely unconcerned with the fact that tens of thousands of people have died in similar circumstances just in recent history, many of whom were a damn sight better than her in almost all imaginable areas.

It's the same thing here at the moment following the earthquakes, all the self-centered assholes who didn't lose friends or family saying they were blessed while completely ignoring the fact that 155 people confirmed dead so far and their families weren't so lucky - Complete fucking assholes, it's a slap in the face for all the families who weren't lucky enough to get the same 'blessing' from this fuckwit deity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19414 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie