Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal Working
Metal Working
Lately, I’ve been giving serious thought to getting into metalwork as a hobby, nothing commercial. I’m in the process of winding down the luthier business with a view to retirement, and will need something to occupy my time.

I’ve done some research - tools, equipment, techniques, that sort of thing - and it seems interesting and challenging enough to suit me.

So...if we have any experienced metalworkers here, your advice/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Metal Working
Whatcha want to know?

In my shop I have a 12 inch engine lathe, a horizontal milling machine, a toolroom surface grinder, a floor mount drill press, a 30 ton hydraulic press, MIG, TIG, and acytelene welding - and a lifetime's collection of hand tools and measuring devices. 

I worked as a prototype and one-off production machinist before retiring.
More involved than what I have in mind. I’m not looking to become a machinist, thinking more along the lines of casting, carving, light forging, etc.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Only thing I cast is ingots and bullets.

I cast the ingots out of bullets I clean out of my backstop. Then I cast the bullets out of the ingots.

Lather, rinse, repeat.....

Casting lead requires a fair bit of btu's. Aluminum or brass are far more - and iron is big time...

What would you use for a heat source?

I use coal for ingots and electric for bullets...
It's easy to spot a metal worker. They can only count to nine, at best.
(October 5, 2020 at 9:47 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: It's easy to spot a metal worker. They can only count to nine, at best.

Especially the guys on the stamping press line....

I still have 10 fingers and 10 toes.

Call me a wimp....
(October 5, 2020 at 9:54 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 5, 2020 at 9:47 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: It's easy to spot a metal worker. They can only count to nine, at best.

Especially the guys on the stamping press line....

I still have 10 fingers and 10 toes.

Call me a wimp....
Wimp.
Boru, you might look into copper smithing. Copper is a lot easier to work that steel. I've made a few copper items.

If you think that you might want to carve, have you considered wood? You already have some of the tools you would need.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
OR if you want angry burns on your person that make great conversation starters how about jewelry making, silversmithing and the like.
(October 5, 2020 at 9:47 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Only thing I cast is ingots and bullets.

I cast the ingots out of bullets I clean out of my backstop. Then I cast the bullets out of the ingots.

Lather, rinse, repeat.....

Casting lead requires a fair bit of btu's. Aluminum or brass are far more - and iron is big time...

What would you use for a heat source?

I use coal for ingots and electric for bullets...

Looking hard at either anthracite or coke. Either one, in a forge with the right air flow, should get me enough BTUs for anything up to and including stainless steel.

Boru