Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Earth is Growing...
The Earth is Growing...
Any takers for this? Do the outer edges of Pangaea really fit together as they suggest?

And where does this extra mass come from unless we started with a much denser Earth. And then what about the oceans and the evolution of life?

It's a bit more believable but reminds me of the Flat Earth Society.

[youtube]VjgidAICoQI[/youtube]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: The Earth is Growing...
Epic theory fail. I guess the ocean water magically appeared from nowhere...or maybe it was inside the Earth and the core is now hollow...
Unfortunately I don have the knowledge to either debunk or confirm the claim so anything I say on the matter would be pure speculative. .
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
If the earth was growing and gaining mass then logically the water line would be decreasing (unless the ice caps were melting faster than the earth was growing, either way we would be able to measure it), this is not the case. Unless the earth magically can break the laws of physics and create new materials.

I mean, the earth is growing in terms of the trees and grass grow but, it cannot overall grow in size unless it is getting less dense or it is adding mass. Mass does not come from nowhere and rocks dont suddenly become less dense, if the earth was growing (at a rate we were capable of seeing at all) we would have observed it on the smaller scale with everyday rocks that the earth is made of.

Yes the outer edges of the original continent do fit together, rather well but, any real scientist can show you that it is evidence of plate tectonics, a well studied and observed phenominon. I can probably even cite sources if people wanted em.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Definitely an interesting view! I've decided to think about what would be necessary for this to be true:

1. For the Earth to increase in size it must either:
i) decrease in density
ii) accrete mass

Since the claim is that the Earth expanded from the inside (hence the continental splitting), I'll discard ii) and work with i) .

Basic thermodynamics tells us that for a body of constant mass to decrease in density, it must increase in temperature. The only conceivable way for this to happen (other than a hydrogen-burning earth :p ) is to decrease the Earth-Sun distance.

The claim is that this expansion has happened gradually, so I think we can rule out the possibilty of a meteor strike causing a change in the Earth 's orbit.
Perhaps as the solar system orbits the galactic centre, changes in the gravitational field due to the galaxy could cause the Earth-Sun distance to change? It seems to me that this is unlikely since, at earth, the field due to the sun is larger than the field due to the galaxy (because of the inverse square law of gravity).
Anyway, the temperature change needed for the earth to DOUBLE IN SIZE is greater than the earth's current temperature.

2. The water in the seas must have come from somewhere. Clearly water in "shallow seas" and rivers would not be enough to fill the vast oceans we have today. Perhaps the ice-caps were much larger than they are now, and as the earth's temperature increased, began to melt and fill the gaps between the continental crust.
But remember, the proponents claim that the earth has doubled in size since the time of "dinosaurs and marsupials". This suggests than any temperature increase has been reasonably small, and cannot have been large enough to cause the melting of enough ice to fill the entirety of our oceans.

Anyway I'm not sure this is real. Seems a bit too much like satire to me, certainly a lot of effort though :S
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three Cheetahs Vs Ostrich | Life | BBC Earth WinterHold 10 1006 October 4, 2021 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  B.O.B thinks Earth is Flat, Neil Degrasse Tyson chimes in Heat 20 2755 January 28, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Heat
  How the Earth was made KichigaiNeko 11 2683 December 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Al Jazeera`s growing bias Something completely different 1 1016 February 15, 2013 at 11:18 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  The Earth Cinjin 0 789 January 25, 2013 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Pat Robertson Denies the Earth is 6,000 years old. Tells viewers to not "fight science". Tiberius 11 3791 November 30, 2012 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  The Man From Earth Cinjin 4 1637 May 28, 2012 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Really nice Earth image from Suomi satellite popeyespappy 5 2835 January 27, 2012 at 1:12 am
Last Post: popeyespappy