Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was This Justified? Why Or Why Not?
Was This Justified? Why Or Why Not?
NYPD Cop Suspended For Campaigning On Duty

I absolutely think it was, although his union is pitching a fit over it. If there is anyone who should behave apolitically, it’s on-duty cops.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Was This Justified? Why Or Why Not?
Yeah, he should be reprimanded and any rules in place need to be clarified. If there are no rules they need to be put in place. It's the intimidation factor coming into play again and this is just the sort of thing Trump will be giddy about. He loves that kind of thing...as do his minions.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I could have gotten brig time or worse for making political campaigning in uniform.
If he wants to campaign for Trump that is his right.

All he needs to do is quit his job and go work for the candidate of his choosing.

The people of NYC did not hire him in that capacity.

They hired him to serve and protect.
(October 26, 2020 at 5:56 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Yeah, he should be reprimanded and any rules in place need to be clarified.  If there are no rules they need to be put in place.  It's the intimidation factor coming into play again and this is just the sort of thing Trump will be giddy about.  He loves that kind of thing...as do his minions.

I guess the cop in question missed this bit 

Quote:members on duty or in uniform are prohibited from "endorsing political candidates or publicly expressing personal views and opinions concerning the merits of: any political party or candidate for public office; any public policy matter or legislation pending before any government body; or any matter to be decided by a pubic election, except with the permission of the police commissioner."

from the NYPD Patrol Guide. Since the police commissioner signed off on the suspension, I’m guessing this nitwit didn’t have permission.

The Police Benevolent Association is defending him on the grounds that ‘cops have ALWAYS done this kind of thing’. Whether true or not, that’s a pretty piss poor justification.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 26, 2020 at 6:00 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: If he wants to campaign for Trump that is his right.

All he needs to do is quit his job and go work for the candidate of his choosing.

He wouldn’t even have to quit his job. He can campaign for Trump (or anyone else) when he’s not on duty.

Boru
Little story about my 15 year old granddaughter...

She has talked often about stealing Trump signs from yards and her dad has told her repeatedly not to.

Sooooo....she and some friends were driving around and The Bail talked the boy driving into stopping so she could steal the Trump sign from a yard. Apparently it took a good bit of tugging and pulling to get it out of the ground but she managed it.

And...pretty much everyone has a Ring doorbell or other security camera system and the whole incident was captured from many angles. The cops were called who tracked the kids down via the license plate on the car. The cop who showed up to interrogate the culprit(s) said they "looked like liberals". WOW! Guess he isn't a Biden fan.

Anyway, citation for granddaughter, several others grounded. Cherry on top - the driver of the car of the son of the preacher at the big Baptist Church in town.

Cop had no business bringing up the liberal thing. The theft and illegality of it should have been enough.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Police officers shouldn't be advocating for political candidates while on duty. It's simply not appropriate. He could have just waited till after work to do that.

(October 26, 2020 at 6:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 26, 2020 at 6:00 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: If he wants to campaign for Trump that is his right.

He wouldn’t even have to quit his job. He can campaign for Trump (or anyone else) when he’s not on duty.

Boru
Which makes this all the more ridiculous. He could have simply waited till after work. Did he think he wouldn't get in trouble for this stunt?
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(October 26, 2020 at 5:08 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: NYPD Cop Suspended For Campaigning On Duty

I absolutely think it was, although his union is pitching a fit over it. If there is anyone who should behave apolitically, it’s on-duty cops.

Boru

Very much so. And he should be blacklisted to. Same goes for any civil or public servsnt who openly campaigns for a political party. It goes against their whole purpose ot serve the state and the citizenry without fear or favour.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Very unprofessional.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should Puerto Rico be made a state? Why or why not? Angrboda 36 2810 September 24, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU