Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:24 am

Poll: Should Puerto Rico be made a state?
This poll is closed.
Yes
69.23%
9 69.23%
No
15.38%
2 15.38%
Other (specify)
0%
0 0%
Fuck if I know.
15.38%
2 15.38%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Puerto Rico be made a state? Why or why not?
Should Puerto Rico be made a state? Why or why not?
Quote:The governor of Puerto Rico is using the first anniversary of Hurricane Maria to step up his calls for statehood. John Wagner reports: “In a letter to [Trump] this week and in television interviews Thursday, [Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló] argued that disparate federal responses to Puerto Rico and other states affected by hurricanes underscore the need to alter the U.S. territory’s status. ‘I think the case has essentially been made to the world in the aftermath of Maria,’ Rosselló said during an appearance on MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe.’ ‘The truth of the matter is we’ve been treated like second-class citizens.’ Rosselló, who campaigned on the promise of promoting statehood, said he was pressing Trump and members of Congress to state their position on the issue. . . . He argued that the United States cannot claim to be a 'standard-bearer of democracy while carrying colonial territories in the 21st century.'”

(Washington Post)

So, yes or no, and why?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Should Puerto Rico be made a state? Why or why not?
Why not.
IIRC, 97% of the residents didn't vote for statehood the last time it came up. In fact, they didn't vote at all.
They sound like 'Murricans already.

Actually, though, 97% of the people who bothered to vote were pro-statehood.  The actual vote % was about a quarter of eligible voters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...ss/530136/

But given that average US mid-term elections have a 40% turnout rate that really isn't so bad.
I hadn't heard of that one.
I'm not sure Trump even knows it's his responsibility to help the place. At the very least we should probably raise awareness that people in US territories are Americans. Or even just that the US has other territories outside mainland besides Hawaii and Alaska.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(September 22, 2018 at 1:19 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I'm not sure Trump even knows it's his responsibility to help the place.

As is the case with most rich, entitled people, his only responsibility is to himself and his fellow rich people.
The WLB thinks they are Mexicans.  I'm surprised he hasn't tried to build a wall around the island.
(September 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The WLB thinks they are Mexicans.  I'm surprised he hasn't tried to build a wall around the island.

I almost spit out my coffee. So much this!
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(September 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The WLB thinks they are Mexicans.  I'm surprised he hasn't tried to build a wall around the island.

He couldn’t find a Sahara to build the wall on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s Huggy Bear 77 3807 April 3, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Performers Should Speak Up or Not Attend Saudi Music Festival WinterHold 9 587 December 15, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 914 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  A Few Days Ago, I Made A Mistake BrianSoddingBoru4 57 3433 March 29, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3424 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 2998 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Was This Justified? Why Or Why Not? BrianSoddingBoru4 18 1030 October 27, 2020 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  ‘God made our immune systems perfect and healthy’ — Anti-vaxxers in NJ Fake Messiah 13 1188 January 20, 2020 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Church forcing State involvement? onlinebiker 34 1945 April 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  State Of The Nonsense Brian37 49 4478 February 9, 2019 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Yonadav