Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sully Sullenberger. Who Dat?
Sully Sullenberger. Who Dat?
He landed a plane on water.  Kind of impressive, but not THIS kind of impressive:

Warthog Pilot Lands With No Canopy, Landing Gear

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Sully Sullenberger. Who Dat?
Wonder what happened to make something as clunky as the GU screw up?

Kudos for the pilot brining the bird home. At the altitude the bad sh!t happened he could have had a worse day.

Not at work.
The most amazing landing ever - United Airlines flight 232 in July of 1989. Dennis Fitch and the crew got the plane down on the runway - with NO control surfaces - using only throttle differential. Most survived.
Sully saved 154 souls. Then he saved his tanker, a socker ball, and finally lead his forces in killing FOUR U-boats. Sadly this last is not credited because he didn't collect the U-boat Kapitan's trousers.
(November 8, 2020 at 10:39 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Sully saved 154 souls. Then he saved his tanker, a socker ball, and finally lead his forces in killing FOUR U-boats. Sadly this last is not credited because he didn't collect the U-boat Kapitan's trousers.

Hah..

McGyver did all that - plus disarmed a nuclear bomb - using only a paper clip and a wad of chewing gum...
People land without landing gear all the time, though this pilot did make a very smooth job of it.

Sully's feat was much more impressive.
(November 8, 2020 at 6:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: He landed a plane on water.  Kind of impressive, but not THIS kind of impressive:

Boru

I would disagree.   Glide Landing an A320 on water is likely substantially more challenging than doing a powered landing with A-10 wheels up on a runway.

For one thing, straight wing, mechanical controlled, A-10, designed for low altitude interdiction, is likely to have much more docile low speed, low altitude handling the the FBW, swept wing A320 optimized for high subsonic flight at 35,000 feet.

For another, a passenger jet with two engines hanging under the wings is amongst the worst possible comfiguration for water landing.  The A-10 was purpose designed to be able to do a wheels up landing on land.  It’s under carriage protrudes outside the housing even in the retracted position so it can roll on its wheels even when landing wheels up.

For a third, the A320 was out of power and gliding.  There was no second shot.   Get it right or die.
I saw a AC-130 gun ship land in a big muddy river once. Damn but didn't it feel good to be on SAR detail that day.
(November 9, 2020 at 12:30 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(November 8, 2020 at 6:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: He landed a plane on water.  Kind of impressive, but not THIS kind of impressive:

Boru

I would disagree.   Glide Landing an A320 on water is likely substantially more challenging than doing a powered landing with A-10 wheels up on a runway.
Been around airplanes my whole life - as dad was a commercial pilot. I have taken off and landed several aircraft - and probably thousands of RC aircraft.

Neither landing is especially difficult - but both have major pucker factor - with only one shot to get it right......

Personally - I would opt for the river landing. Drowning sounds less painful than burning alive...
And cartwheeling has a major WHEEE factor. (Iowa City? Been a while.)