Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential pardon
Presidential pardon
It’s an an old archaic, monarchic tradition that has no place in today’s world—it needs to go away.
RE: Presidential pardon
It has been the last chance for people who were later found to be innocent. If used as such then I'm fine with it. Used to scratch kitty litter over administration mistakes, not so much. I'd been good with it being tweaked so as to be less of a political tool.
I don't agree.

Pardons can be used wisely. Guess what this current guy isn't.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
So, what were you pardoned for brewer, barking up the wrong tree?
(November 26, 2020 at 1:09 am)Apollo Wrote: It’s an an old archaic, monarchic tradition that has no place in today’s world—it needs to go away.

Nonsense. The power to pardon is often the last possible act of mercy and justice. Naturally, the power gets abused - it’s not unique in that regard - but the notion that the guilty are sometimes let off isn’t a valid reason to close off the final avenue of righting a wrong done to people who should never have been convicted in the first place.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 26, 2020 at 12:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 26, 2020 at 1:09 am)Apollo Wrote: It’s an an old archaic, monarchic tradition that has no place in today’s world—it needs to go away.

Nonsense. The power to pardon is often the last possible act of mercy and justice. Naturally, the power gets abused - it’s not unique in that regard - but the notion that the guilty are sometimes let off isn’t a valid reason to close off the final avenue of righting a wrong done to people who should never have been convicted in the first place.

Boru

A little better argument—if having mercy is the objective here then why make it presidential? Why not congressional or some other model based on, say, a tribunal of the sorts where it’s not up-to a single person to pick and choose and pardon the person in question?

Have a special tribunal formed randomly picked people end of every presidential term who are presented with list of randomly picked pardonable convicts to pardon—etc etc.

That would minimize corruption or other ulterior dishonest motives. Mercy doesn’t have to come at the expense of corruption.
Trump will surely pardon all his cronies between now and January 20. While the presidential pardon can be a good thing, Trump will abuse the hell out of it. If he could resurrect Epstein, I am sure he'd be pardoned too.

Can you posthumously pardon someone? If so, I'm sure that's on his list.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 26, 2020 at 3:23 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Trump will surely pardon all his cronies between now and January 20.  While the presidential pardon can be a good thing, Trump will abuse the hell out of it.  If he could resurrect Epstein, I am sure he'd be pardoned too.

Can posthumously pardon someone?  If so, I'm sure that's on his list.

Yes, that is indeed a thing. The DoJ actually has a list of people recently granted posthumous pardons. I say recently because I know that Ford and Carter respectively gave Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis posthumous pardons. For what it’s worth, Trump’s done it three times, and while I’m not aware of the case of Zay Jeffries, his pardons for Jack Johnson (for transporting his [18 year old white] future wife across state lines) and Susan B. Anthony seemed fairly reasonable (at least until you find out that the Susan B. Anthony Museum and House declined the pardon because it would have legitimized the law against women voting she protested in the same way paying the original $100 fine would have.) At least he’s not abusing the posthumous pardon like he is living pardons, like trying to pardon someone like David Lane.

If there’s any changes to the system that need to be made, maybe a rule like “no sitting President may pardon or commute the sentences of anyone who worked on his behalf.}
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(November 26, 2020 at 4:43 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(November 26, 2020 at 3:23 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Trump will surely pardon all his cronies between now and January 20.  While the presidential pardon can be a good thing, Trump will abuse the hell out of it.  If he could resurrect Epstein, I am sure he'd be pardoned too.

Can posthumously pardon someone?  If so, I'm sure that's on his list.

Yes, that is indeed a thing. The DoJ actually has a list of people recently granted posthumous pardons. I say recently because I know that Ford and Carter respectively gave Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis posthumous pardons. For what it’s worth, Trump’s done it three times, and while I’m not aware of the case of Zay Jeffries, his pardons for Jack Johnson (for transporting his [18 year old white] future wife across state lines) and Susan B. Anthony seemed fairly reasonable (at least until you find out that the Susan B. Anthony Museum and House declined the pardon because it would have legitimized the law against women voting she protested in the same way paying the original $100 fine would have.) At least he’s not abusing the posthumous pardon like he is living pardons, like trying to pardon someone like David Lane.

If there’s any changes to the system that need to be made, maybe a rule like “no sitting President may pardon or commute the sentences of anyone who worked on his behalf.}

Bold mine - this is an excellent idea.

And thanks for the info.  I would have done some searching myself but am cooking a couple dishes to take to my daughter's house.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

And probably add a clause that the President cannot pardon himself or herself, just to make it explicit.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When will Trump announce his 2024 Presidential bid? Jehanne 8 807 July 28, 2022 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Presidential candidate themes dyresand 1 489 March 26, 2016 at 11:12 am
Last Post: dyresand