Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political affiliation inquiry
Political affiliation inquiry
If you wouldn't mind answering a short survey for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. When you were a young teenager, did you consider yourself affiliated with any particular political ideology? Which one?
2. When you were a young adult, did you vote? Democrat or Republican?
3. If you are older than thirty, has your political ideology changed? Explain if it has.
4. If you are older than forty, has your political ideology changed? Explain if it has.
5. If you are older than fifty, has your political ideology changed? Explain if it has.
6. What is your personal opinion of those who hold differing political ideologies than you?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Political affiliation inquiry
1-6, Democrat. Nothing occurred since 1951 that would have caused me to change.
1-5 Democrat

I still hold many of my hippie ways from the 70s.

6-I expect others to hold different opinions. Everyone has different life experiences that affect their views on pretty much everything. I don't consider myself to be extreme in any of my beliefs and it's only those who are extreme that I tend to avoid.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I think Democrats are more democratic.
(December 4, 2020 at 9:40 am)Eleven Wrote: If you wouldn't mind answering a short survey for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. When you were a young teenager, did you consider yourself affiliated with any particular political ideology? Which one?
3. If you are older than thirty, has your political ideology changed? Explain if it has.
4. If you are older than forty, has your political ideology changed? Explain if it has.
5. If you are older than fifty, has your political ideology changed? Explain if it has.
6. What is your personal opinion of those who hold differing political ideologies than you?

1. Vaguely Republican I suppose, as with my family.
2. Republican, mostly because in Florida you had to declare a party and the Republicans had fewer things in their platform I didn't like that I thought they'd actually be able to pass. I wasn't a 'solid Republican'. I was a vet though, and Carter's botched Iran rescue was fresh in my mind.
3. Still a wobbly Republican, voted for Perot the first time he ran, voted for Dole the second.
4. Dole was the last time I voted for a Republican for president, I voted Republican down ticket about half the time. Republicans were too socially intrusive for me, poking the government's nose into people's private business. I became a Libertarian, even joined the LP, voted for the Libertarian every time one was available. Mainstream Libertarian, considered myself a 'Classic Liberal'.
5. Gradually started leaning closer to Democrat. It was clear that Social Democracies weren't always teetering on the verge of economic collapse. The economic playing field was unequal and I questioned if it was ethical to accept the status quo as a starting point. The economy seemed to do better under Democrat administrations though I attributed a lot of that to Republicans being deficit hawks when Democrats were in charge of the WH. Leading up to the 2016 election fact-checking my fellow libertarians highlighted a taste for conspiracies and lies about Hillary Clinton that I found repulsive. I voted for Johnson; but it was with a strong tinge of 'Clinton can't win in South Carolina no matter how I vote'. When Trump won; I was shocked. My remaining libertarianism was founded at least in part on the idea that a good majority of the people will make good decisions if you just give them enough freedom; and that it's best to vote idealistically than for 'the lesser evil'. After Trump became president, I became a practical Democrat. I agree with most progressive goals; I just think you need a moderate Democrat to flip a red district; and if we try too hard to get everything we want all at once we won't be able to get it at all.
6. Everyone is on a journey, everyone has differing experiences, everyone has differing capacities. I think Trumpists are lost, but they've been led astray by decades of propaganda tailored specifically at them and most of them are suffering from cognitive biases that prevent them from realizing it and would lose much of their social support if they did. It's like the Pentecostalism I was raised in: I'm fortunate that I got out, not everyone is so lucky.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(December 4, 2020 at 9:40 am)Eleven Wrote: If you wouldn't mind answering a short survey for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello! Smile

1: Nope.
2: It's mandatory to vote where I'm at. The political party's don't map across countrys. Sad
3: Yes. Lots more life experiance and watching the political landscape change over the ages.
4: Yes. See 3.
5: Yes. See 3.
6: Good for them. Are the also holding a weapon?

Big Grin Tongue

Cheers.

Not at work.

1-3. Stick it.
4-6. Shove it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
1) Didn't care.
2) Neither
3) I hate trumpolini
4) See #3
5) N/A
6) You can agree with me, or you can be wrong.
(December 4, 2020 at 11:02 am)brewer Wrote: 1-3. Stick it.
4-6. Shove it.

I'll write you down as capitalist Republican.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
No affiliation as a kid.  In first grade a classmate asked me, "who are y'all voting for?"  I thought, we're kids, idiot.  We know jack shit.  I said, probably Nixon.  He said, "We're voting for Wallace."  Even at that age, I knew what that meant.

On my first opportunity to vote, I leaned toward Howard Baker in the primaries.  Didn't like Carter.  Then Reagan won the nomination, gave Falwell a reach around, and I voted for John Anderson.  I didn't vote in 84.  Seriously, Mondale?  They wasted Geraldine Ferraro on that?  I voted Dukakis in 88 hoping he would die in a tank accident and Lloyd Bentsen would succeed.

My ideology is that ideologies are tools.  If you try one and it almost works, tweak it.  If it fails, try something different.  Thus, it doesn't change with age as much as conditions and results.

Those who adhere to ideologies that create negative net results are prideful and foolish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 827 61036 April 21, 2024 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 856 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 3018 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 867 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3054 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2381 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 1992 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 682 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6938 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 572 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye