Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020: When the world ended
2020: When the world ended
2020: When the world ended...or at least, that's what it felt like. 

Heyo, my name is Five and I am an atheist.

How did I become an atheist? :: short answer: by trying to remain a Christian. I am actually an ex-Mormon, BIC, and I just had my faith crisis this past summer. I'll talk about the religion if you ask me about it but otherwise, let's just say I was lied to all 30 years of my life, and I was almost destroyed by that ole Wizard of Oz curtain reveal. I tried to remain Christian, joined a Christian forum and read the Bible. But Mormonism had scorch-earthed me and the more I tried to answer the theological questions and fill in the holes my rejection of Mormonism had left me with, the more dissatisfied I became. I'll admit, after pinpointing what exactly left me so disappointed by Christianity, I didn't really explore other religions or do any due diligence on it. I kind of got to a "here and now" mindset and a "I don't know and I don't care" attitude.

Any opinions I have on religion, particularly the repressive fundamentalist or evangelical brand, are likely colored by my still sizzling burns from Mormonism. I'm not actively angry anymore but I'm not a full year free yet; I come here with some wounds still healing. However, progressively realizing that there is nothing "beyond" this has been a truly empowering experience. Not just shedding guilt and shame cycles or other repressive religious structures but also the mere idea of deity being removed from my considerations or daily experience, is like a yoke being lifted. In atheism, I have found peace and autonomy that religion never gave me.

Why am I here? :: I've been watching atheist content on youtube for most of December, after graduating from the research I was doing to fully and truly put Mormonism in the ground. I really like Genetically Modified Skeptic and his break downs and analysis of the different arguments and fallacies. I wanted to look for more of that sort of content and to see more debate and active challenges to those ideas, to see how they fit and how they stand up in practice. I admit, I haven't had much interaction or encounters with watching atheism be defended or seeing theists apologetics in practice. So, I'm here to watch, to read, and possibly to interact.

I have a lot of ideas and things that occur to me in the course of my day, unpacking and unpeeling the layered philosophical discussion of the existence/non-existence of God. But I have no one to share it with. Most of my family is still Mormon and my friends don't wish to talk about this sort of thing. I don't want to be proselytized at and so, have agreed not to try to tear anyone from their faith. So, this will be an outlet to share and examine thoughts and ideas that are new to me.

That's the long and short of it. I'm excited to learn and open to questions. 
 (\_/)
 (o.o)
 (___)0

RE: 2020: When the world ended
Salutations. Welcome to the forum, don't mind the floors they're made of a non-newtonian fluid.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Welcome!

We are all happy to get into discussions, and welcome you into the community.

We have some Christians here.  Some think they are fighting the good fight for Jesus.  Others are just giving their point of view honestly.

Some here have always been atheists.  Others have left religions (myself included).  I don't have any deep wounds, but some do.  You said:

However, progressively realizing that there is nothing "beyond" this has been a truly empowering experience. Not just shedding guilt and shame cycles or other repressive religious structures but also the mere idea of deity being removed from my considerations or daily experience, is like a yoke being lifted.

I can relate!
Welcome... The single biggest anchor we hear from many trying to convert is the lingering fears of hell.

All we can say about that is: The only reason Hell was invented was to have something to save us FROM!
Hell is the epitome of pain and fear. It's supposed to be. It's constructed that way for best effectiveness.

All prepackaged religions are basically the modern day version of clickbait ...
But I will say this. Fighting a life long childhood indoctrination can be difficult and painful but worth it in the end.
It's like a veil lifted from your eyes... (pardon the pun)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Tacos? Did you bring them? Newbies are required to supply them. It's a rite of passage.
Welcome.

I hope we can help answer some of your questions.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome to the Forum!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Howdy and...

[Image: welcome-card-with-cup-of-coffee-and-cookie-E8Y9HH.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome, new guys can buy a round at the bar in lieu of tacos. (Had 'em last night. [burp])
Welcome!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God knows how i ended up here? KUDOS 10 1623 April 10, 2013 at 6:18 am
Last Post: Violet