Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 1:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Childhood Faves!
Childhood Faves!
Nostalgia thread, about the most memorable educational series of our childhoods'.  They can be memorable because they're great.... because they're comically bad, because they aged well or seem hilarious today.

I'll kick it off with one that hits every mark.  Mimi.  1984, PBS.  An early attempt at STEAM.  It was...and I'm not making this up, Ben Affleck's breakout role.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Childhood Faves!
There was one called How that sticks in my memory. Various presenters would answer questions about science, history, and maths that began with the word ‘how’ (‘How does a rocket work?’ ‘How do you catch a cold?’ etc).

It was on two afternoons a week, and I would put off chores and homework to watch it. Good times.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Nice. I skipped choir to watch mine. I ended up getting to nerd out onboard the boat, it was on a merchandising route that took it through port of tampa. Jerusalem on the water to me, at the time.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Mr. Rogers was my favorite. I liked the tours through factories and manufacturing floors. Mr. Rogers was "How Its Made" before how its made. I also liked the land of make believe and I wanted a sentient trolley someday.
I wanted to be everyone's neighbor, lol. Anybody remember Captain Planet?
(January 19, 2021 at 5:47 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I wanted to be everyone's neighbor, lol.  Anybody remember Captain Planet?

Captain Kangaroo was on my local UHF channel.  Romper Room, I never got into.
UHF is definitely nostalgia territory.
(January 19, 2021 at 5:46 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Mr. Rogers was my favorite. I liked the tours through factories and manufacturing floors. Mr. Rogers was "How Its Made" before how its made. I also liked the land of make believe and I wanted a sentient trolley someday.

Fred was the best.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: GaryGnu.jpg]
PBS was out of antenna range.  All I had was a set of Grolier's The Book of Popular Science.

City kids.