Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preying on the predators
Preying on the predators
I have a bait pile of 2 deer carcasses out.

I'm going to sit in my blind tonight with a spotlight equipped  AR15 and a night vision scope and bore holes in a coyote.

They're getting thick around here.

RE: Preying on the predators
No wolves, more coyotes. Gee, we didn't see that coming.
(January 24, 2021 at 11:51 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: No wolves, more coyotes. Gee, we didn't see that coming.

Kill off enough coyotes and then you’ll have some other livestock predator to contend with. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 24, 2021 at 12:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 24, 2021 at 11:51 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: No wolves, more coyotes. Gee, we didn't see that coming.

Kill off enough coyotes and then you’ll have some other livestock predator to contend with. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Boru

I don't have enough time or ammo. Very few hunt them here. That's why there are so many - too many....

Boru
Things were fine until humans came along. Some humans didn't mess with the wolves, and things were fine.
Even being in town we have coyotes that come into the neighborhoods. I lost two cats to them and possibly a third but am not sure.

My husband has seen coyotes downtown on his way to work early in the morning.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 24, 2021 at 11:42 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I have a bait pile of 2 deer carcasses out.

I'm going to sit in my blind tonight with a spotlight equipped  AR15 and a night vision scope and bore holes in a coyote.

Yes, because using a weapon of war capable of spraying while using scent to trick animals to come in to range takes so much more skill than a single shot 22 rifle.

Easy to play darts when you are two inches from the board.

But lets talk about switches and triggers shall we? 

Before you once again stupidly claim I am against hunting, let me state again, I AM NOT. But don't act like you need an AR15 or claim it is a sport.

Humans were hunting animal meat long before the first guns existed. Needing food 100,000 or 200,000 years ago existed, and yes, humans eat other animals like other mammals and fish. And they survived and thrived and still ate meat without weapons of war. 

Color me unimpressed. I eat beef, I eat pork, I have had deer, and dove and croc. But I don't feel the need to brag about fooling myself into thinking killing life that does not have an equal shot to defend itself is some thing to brag about. 

Life eats other life, yes. But humans are ourselves the most dangerous invasive species on the planet when it comes to valuing our own survival. How about you worry less about your ego, and weapons, and simply admit, hunting can be a cheaper way to find food without bragging about it?

(January 24, 2021 at 11:42 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I have a bait pile of 2 deer carcasses out.

A couple weeks ago you bragged about deer season opening.

So how exactly are the Coyotes wrong for wanting to find food themselves?

Neither the deer or the Coyote had access to an AR15.
(January 24, 2021 at 1:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Yes, because using a weapon of war capable of spraying while using scent to trick animals to come in to range takes so much more skill than a single shot 22 rifle.

Before you once again stupidly claim I am against hunting, let me state again, I AM NOT. But don't act like you need an AR15 or claim it is a sport.

Humans were hunting animal meat long before the first guns existed. Needing food 100,000 or 200,000 years ago existed, and yes, humans eat other animals like other mammals and fish. And they survived and thrived and still ate meat without weapons of war. 

Color me unimpressed. I eat beef, I eat pork, I have had deer, and dove and croc. But I don't feel the need to brag about fooling myself into thinking killing life that does not have an equal shot to defend itself is some thing to brag about. 

Life eats other life, yes. But humans are ourselves the most dangerous invasive species on the planet when it comes to valuing our own survival. How about you worry less about your ego, and weapons, and simply admit, hunting can be a cheaper way to find food without bragging about it?

Nor do you have access to a functional brain.......

Go write a bad poem....

(January 24, 2021 at 12:59 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(January 24, 2021 at 12:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Kill off enough coyotes and then you’ll have some other livestock predator to contend with. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Boru
Things were fine until humans came along. Some humans didn't mess with the wolves, and things were fine.

It's called competition......

Farmers got sick of feeding thevwolves with their livestock.

That any human cares that wolves survive simply shows our capacity for empathy.

Trust me - if the wolves figured out a way to anhilate us - we would be gone faster than the dodo.....
(January 24, 2021 at 1:21 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(January 24, 2021 at 1:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yes, because using a weapon of war capable of spraying while using scent to trick animals to come in to range takes so much more skill than a single shot 22 rifle.

Nor do you have access to a functional brain.......

Go write a bad poem....

Yes, because hunting never existed before firearms. OH WAIT!

Still not getting it.  Humans are the invasive species, the more we expand as a population, the more we conflict with other life, like coyotes and pumas and tigers and elephants. If one is concerned about not wanting other life to go extinct, then one cannot oversimplify the "us vs them" mentality and bullshit argument you tried to use here.

Of course if one is a farm owner, or if one lives near crocs, or elephants or hippos, or tigers, one is certainly going to want to protect themselves. But if you are not taking into account that humans are invading their homes, and we are destroying their homes, and coyotes are no different, then you have no concept of what conservation is.

Boru

I think this right here is the point humans miss worldwide. We are not an apex, we are simply one species among countless. We are good at being humans, but not good at being other life.  Bacteria and viruses and cockroaches outnumber humans.
I'll help thing out the bands during spring and fall lambing season when asked.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ambush predators. Gawdzilla Sama 4 349 October 25, 2023 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Identifying Online Sexual Predators BoyWonder 2 2216 April 3, 2012 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: BoyWonder