Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 11:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of bar stools.
Of bar stools.
Shortly before I got the final building inspector ok, when the new house I currently reside in, that I paid to replace the old one on the same property, I was staying at a friends house in between. One day we go to the beach, and I wasn't interested in him surfing with his kids, and parked myself in a tiny beach house bar. I noticed these high end tall metal bar stools with a very elegant design. Knowing I needed furniture once my new house was going to be finally inspected to move in, I asked him how much the bar owner paid for them. I was willing to bite the bullet just for one stool. But when he told me how much he paid for them, I was shocked. It was dirt cheep, and they looked like something out of a 5 star hotel. He told me he bought them at Lowes Home Improvement. 

Fast forward. My new house is approved, complete, and I buy 4 of these stools. But damn it, design matters. They are very sturdy, but high maintenance. They are all Allen wrench screws and self assemble. But after time, vibration loosen the screws, so I have to constantly tighten them. If I let them go too long I literally risk the instability of causing the screws to fail and having the stool collapse on me while sitting on it. 

Oh yes, this is earth shattering life threatening global security shit right here. My life has  been ruined  because of these stools.

In all seriousness. My point is, I find "high maintenance" anything a pain in the ass. The stools are quality, but damn, it seems every fucking week I have to tighten the Allen wrench screws. I might piss off Harley Davidson fans, but in my past, having owned a puny Honda Rebel 250, I have heard Harley critics complain that why they are high quality, some have complained they also require too much attention. 

Yea, I was only dealing with a mere bar stool. But I have never had to tighten  a piece of furniture to keep it stable like the this stool.
RE: Of bar stools.
You can get goop to keep a screw tight. At Lowes.
(February 22, 2021 at 3:17 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You can get goop to keep a screw tight. At Lowes.

I was thinking about becoming a United Airlines mechanic.  

Pretty sure you'd buy a ticket on that airline if I was a mechanic. 

I briefly got into the toy "Erector Set" as a kid. Trust me, it wasn't pretty.

I have always been bad at arts and crafts, juts like music. I am lazy at maintenance too. 

I also was briefly into building model planes. My favorite fighter jet as a kid was the F-14 Tomcat. But no, you don't paint it Camouflage on an F-14 Tomcat.
(February 22, 2021 at 3:28 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 22, 2021 at 3:17 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You can get goop to keep a screw tight. At Lowes.

I have always been bad at arts and crafts, juts like music. I am lazy at maintenance too. 

I also was briefly into building model planes. My favorite fighter jet as a kid was the F-14 Tomcat. But no, you don't paint it Camouflage on an F-14 Tomcat.

Sama’s correct. There’s a whole range of products available to fix this issue. If you were able to assemble the stools in the first place, you can certainly smear an adhesive on the threads to keep them from loosening. A very, very simple fix.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
LocTite red grade.

Just don't want to take it apart again without a torch.
(February 22, 2021 at 3:28 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Brian, you never fail to amaze me at how you miss a point that is so obvious. He said something very straightforward and while he failed to say, "You need Loctite threadlocker green" and provide you an easy link to the amazon store to buy it: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loctite+threa...nb_sb_noss

His succinct reply caused you to write so many, only tangentially related, sentences that it boggles my mind. 

I'm a visual person so I imagine a child standing next to a piñata and giving it a light tap and SUDDENLY a mountain of candy erupts from the small tear.

Anyway, yep loctite green will keep those Allen screws in place for years!
(February 22, 2021 at 4:15 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote:
(February 22, 2021 at 3:28 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I was thinking about becoming a United Airlines mechanic.  

Brian, you never fail to amaze me at how you miss a point that is so obvious. He said something very straightforward and while he failed to say, "You need Loctite threadlocker green" and provide you an easy link to the amazon store to buy it: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loctite+threa...nb_sb_noss

His succinct reply caused you to write so many, only tangentially related, sentences that it boggles my mind. 

I'm a visual person so I imagine a child standing next to a piñata and giving it a light tap and SUDDENLY a mountain of candy erupts from the small tear.

What I don’t understand is that he was able to assemble the barstools, but when presented with a fix that is EASIER than the initial assembly, he goes all discursive about his lack of ‘fix-it’ skills.

Tis a puzzlement.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
All the mechanical aptitude of a roadkilled chipmunk....
(February 22, 2021 at 3:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 22, 2021 at 3:28 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I was thinking about becoming a United Airlines mechanic.  

Sama’s correct. There’s a whole range of products available to fix this issue. If you were able to assemble the stools in the first place, you can certainly smear an adhesive on the threads to keep them from loosening. A very, very simple fix.

Boru

There is an old cartoon of  a cat that tries to prove itself to the house owner for it's keep. But eventually it realizes it can be lazy and get other cats to do it's mouse-ing. I haven't figured out to do the work, and get others to mouse for me. 

That is the definition of laziness and bitching.

Yea, sounds like a a John Holmes, Debby Does Dallas line.

(February 22, 2021 at 4:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 22, 2021 at 4:15 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Brian, you never fail to amaze me at how you miss a point that is so obvious. He said something very straightforward and while he failed to say, "You need Loctite threadlocker green" and provide you an easy link to the amazon store to buy it: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=loctite+threa...nb_sb_noss

What I don’t understand is that he was able to assemble the barstools, but when presented with a fix that is EASIER than the initial assembly, he goes all discursive about his lack of ‘fix-it’ skills.

Tis a puzzlement.

Boru

Really, I am an ABBA fan.

It isn't the fixing, it is the frustration of having to tighten the screws every five nanoseconds. 

These other "cures" presented to me I have not heard of.
(February 22, 2021 at 4:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 22, 2021 at 3:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Sama’s correct. There’s a whole range of products available to fix this issue. If you were able to assemble the stools in the first place, you can certainly smear an adhesive on the threads to keep them from loosening. A very, very simple fix.

Boru

There is an old cartoon of  a cat that tries to prove itself to the house owner for it's keep. But eventually it realizes it can be lazy and get other cats to do it's mouse-ing. I haven't figured out to do the work, and get others to mouse for me. 

That is the definition of laziness and bitching.

Yea, sounds like a a John Holmes, Debby Does Dallas line.

(February 22, 2021 at 4:28 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What I don’t understand is that he was able to assemble the barstools, but when presented with a fix that is EASIER than the initial assembly, he goes all discursive about his lack of ‘fix-it’ skills.

Tis a puzzlement.

Boru

Really, I am an ABBA fan.

It isn't the fixing, it is the frustration of having to tighten the screws every five nanoseconds. 

These other "cures" presented to me I have not heard of.

1. Go to your local hardware shop or home improvement or DIY store.
2. Look for a product called 'Loctite' (it's very common and won't cost more than a few dollars).
3. Go home.
4. Find your allen wrench and remove the screws from the barstools.
5. Read the directions on the Loctite package.
6. Apply the Loctite as directed on the package.
7. Re-insert the screws.
8. Revel in the knowledge that your frustration over this has been solved.

Fuxxake, Brian.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bar etiquette Alexmahone 32 3266 December 21, 2020 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: no one