Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing up your taser with your handgun
Mixing up your taser with your handgun
I won't bother with the story.

I'll just give the solution.

It's so goddamned obvious - it boggles the mind that this is even a problem.

1. Make it illegal to configure a taser in the shape of a pistol on all new manufacture.

2. Make it illegal to carry both a handgun and a handgun configured taser ---- for civilians AND police agencies.

All new tasers should be built more along the line of a TV remote or a garage door opener --- with the triggering being by thumb instead of index finger.

Do I gotta do all the thinking for these dipshits???
RE: Mixing up your taser with your handgun
I was listening to MSNBC, and some punditwas asked the question "Is it reasonable to believe that the officer mistook their handgun for a taser", and of course the answer was that no it wasn't reasonable to believe that.

So, despite evidence that they did, in fact, do that, you're going to go with "they murdered the person in cold blood"? Really?

I hate this trial-by-TV-talking-head (or worse, the twitter-verse). People make mistakes, especially during stress. The mind doesn't work the same way as normal. It becomes hyper-focused on some things, and goes onto auto-pilot for others.

But I get it -- the politically correct thing to say is that police are out to murder black people.
Because they want us to believe a 26-year police veteran would confuse a taser for a gun ..... Yeah sure  Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

[Image: 7X3uz8w.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Apparently, she's a trainer, too. Personally, I think it sticks in the craw not because no one would believe that cop, a 26 year veteran, would be so stupid. We do, we all believe that. It's that calling this an accidental discharge doesn't seem to square with the term. It smacks of euphemism.

The official version of the story is no better than the obvious, either. She intended to zap a guy leaving the scene...... with passengers, after pulling him over for air freshners in his rearview? If shooting the guy was her autopilot, that's an indictment of systemic racism, not a defense.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 14, 2021 at 6:10 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: I was listening to MSNBC, and some punditwas asked the question "Is it reasonable to believe that the officer mistook their handgun for a taser", and of course the answer was that no it wasn't reasonable to believe that.

So, despite evidence that they did, in fact, do that, you're going to go with "they murdered the person in cold blood"?  Really?

I hate this trial-by-TV-talking-head (or worse, the twitter-verse).  People make mistakes, especially during stress.  The mind doesn't work the same way as normal.  It becomes hyper-focused on some things, and goes onto auto-pilot for others.

But I get it -- the politically correct thing to say is that police are out to murder black people.

I don't think OLB said anyone was murdered in cold blood or that cops are out to murder black people.

But confusing a less-than-lethal weapon with a lethal one may be a sign that this person shouldn't have been a cop to being with.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No way man. It was accidental, could have happened to anybody. She was just cleaning it and it went off.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 14, 2021 at 6:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: But confusing a less-than-lethal weapon with a lethal one may be a sign that this person shouldn't have been a cop to being with.

Boru

Sure, that's true.  If the cop was under that much stress for a simple situation, they probably shouldn't be a cop.  But mistakes during stress are a very real thing.  During periods of tunnel-vision, the brain can ignore the feedback of things like "why is my taser feeling a bit weird?".

So, yes it is reasonable to believe that someone can make a mistake.  It is either that or cold-blooded murder.  There is no "accidental discharge".
Again 26 years as a police officer  Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(April 14, 2021 at 7:08 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: So, yes it is reasonable to believe that someone can make a mistake.  It is either that or cold-blooded murder.  There is no "accidental discharge".

With cops, it seems like it could be both.