Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yelling At Your Devices
Yelling At Your Devices
(Or any inanimate object, really.)

When my phone reloads a webpage because a problem occurred, it pops up a notice saying, ‘This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred.’

WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS?! I KNOW THE PAGE WAS RELOADED BECAUSE I WATCHED IT RELOAD AND IT WOULDN’T HAVE RELOADED IF THERE WASN’T A PROBLEM!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Yelling At Your Devices
I grew up thinking the only way to fix things was to swear at them...loudly. That's how dad fixed stuff - or so it seemed.

I admit to swearing at my router and my phone that kept croaking last night. grumble, grumble

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 26, 2021 at 6:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: (Or any inanimate object, really.)

When my phone reloads a webpage because a problem occurred, it pops up a notice saying, ‘This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred.’

WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS?! I KNOW THE PAGE WAS RELOADED BECAUSE I WATCHED IT RELOAD AND IT WOULDN’T HAVE RELOADED IF THERE WASN’T A PROBLEM!!

Boru

The phone is sentient, and is conducting a sinister experiment involving strokes and blood pressure.
(April 26, 2021 at 6:58 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 26, 2021 at 6:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: (Or any inanimate object, really.)

Boru

The phone is sentient, and is conducting a sinister experiment involving strokes and blood pressure.

It’s an iPhone 6, so ‘sentient’ is kind of a stretch.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 26, 2021 at 7:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 26, 2021 at 6:58 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: The phone is sentient, and is conducting a sinister experiment involving strokes and blood pressure.

It’s an iPhone 6, so ‘sentient’ is kind of a stretch.

Boru

iPhone 6 is smarter and more cunning than close to half of the American electorate.
Swearing at inanimate objects?

Do nurses count as devices?
Dying to live, living to die.
I yell at games when I play them on the Playstation.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I tend to yell more at mechanical things, the car is a good example.

Add in failing plumbing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
"An error has occurred, OK"
Well No!, it isn't OK, it's an error you stupid machine!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Boru

I get that. I hate it whenever or for whatever reason, I click on something, and my laptop goes apeshit and does something I didn't intend. My neighors must think I am a serial killer because I shout, "THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED!".