Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 years and counting!
100 years and counting!
My mom celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday. We had back-to-back parties for her. The first was on Sunday to celebrate Mothers' Day. Over 20 family members and relatives attended. My brother had arranged for a caterer to set up a pavilion in the front yard and box lunches were provided. Everyone wore masks, but those who had been immunized against Covid took them off when it was time to eat. I had only my first shot and wasn't about to remove my mask for anyone. I had a pleasant conversation with my atheist nephew from Maine.

The second party was held yesterday and involved only myself, my bother and sister. We lunched on the box lunches left over from yesterday's shindig. Mom opened her presents and we played Mahjong after the meal. She got her birthday wish to come out the winner of the game, which she did with a high scoring hand at the end. There was no cheating on our part to let her win. Her mind is still sharp as a tack and she plays a wicked game of Mahjong.

Party Time
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: 100 years and counting!
Clap

Heart Party Time  

Happy DanceHappy Dance
Happy birthday to your mom! 100 years is a hell of a run.

Glad to hear that things are such that milestone was able to be celebrated with family.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

All the best to your mum!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 11, 2021 at 11:30 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: My mom celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday. We had back-to-back parties for her. The first was on Sunday to celebrate Mothers' Day. Over 20 family members and relatives attended. My brother had arranged for a caterer to set up a pavilion in the front yard and box lunches were provided. Everyone wore masks, but those who had been immunized against Covid took them off when it was time to eat. I had only my first shot and wasn't about to remove my mask for anyone. I had a pleasant conversation with my atheist nephew from Maine.

The second party was held yesterday and involved only myself, my bother and sister. We lunched on the box lunches left over from yesterday's shindig. Mom opened her presents and we played Mahjong after the meal. She got her birthday wish to come out the winner of the game, which she did with a high scoring hand at the end. There was no cheating on our part to let her win. Her mind is still sharp as a tack and she plays a wicked game of Mahjong.

Party Time

Good for her.
Congrats!
(May 11, 2021 at 11:30 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: My mom celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday. We had back-to-back parties for her. The first was on Sunday to celebrate Mothers' Day. Over 20 family members and relatives attended. My brother had arranged for a caterer to set up a pavilion in the front yard and box lunches were provided. Everyone wore masks, but those who had been immunized against Covid took them off when it was time to eat. I had only my first shot and wasn't about to remove my mask for anyone. I had a pleasant conversation with my atheist nephew from Maine.

Party Time

Congrats...

My dad' s a young' n.

He turns 90 this month..

Goofy fucker is out cutting wood.

Smile
Thanks, everyone, for your birthday greetings to my mom. I passed them on to her and she was delighted. She's a pious Catholic, but didn't have the slightest reservation about getting greetings from my fellow atheists.  Great
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(May 18, 2021 at 6:58 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: Thanks, everyone, for your birthday greetings to my mom. I passed them on to her and she was delighted. She's a pious Catholic, but didn't have the slightest reservation about getting greetings from my fellow atheists.  Great

(The following is silly nonsense sarcasm ribbing)

Wait, what? Your mother hits a milestone most don't, but you didn't club her about the face and knees with brass knuckles for being Catholic? Have you no loyalty to kitten barbacuing or eating babies? As a former Catholic myself, I find your lack of faith in Darth Vader's "Dark Side" disturbing. 

(The following is serious now.) Moms are the best, and I wish my mom was still around. Cherish the time you have with loved ones. I know she loved the adulation and appreciation you gave her.
My mom turned 101 last May. She was in pretty good shape until summer, but is now in decline. Unfortunately, funds from my dad's estate are nearly exhausted. It presently costs about $25,000 per month for the caregivers, housekeepers and nurses which allow her to remain at home. She will probably have to go into a nursing home in January and she isn't happy about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At 33 years of age, I am being bullied and tired of it. AkiraTheViking 12 1195 June 7, 2023 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: deleted
  4 years out. Brian37 6 778 August 5, 2021 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  5 years after my M.S diagnosis WinterHold 8 821 December 21, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987