Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Challenge/Experiment
Music Challenge/Experiment
Rules: For two weeks you may only listen to any song three times. That is if you were to listen to any song more than three times in a two week period you get -1 point for every time you listen to it afterwards. You start out with 100 points.

So if you listen to AC/DC - Highway to hell only 3 times in two weeks you are okay, but if you listen to it more than that you add -1 to your score and have 99 and so on. (sorry for being so redundant!)

Objective: The point of this game/challenge/experiment isn't made to torment you by forbidding you listening to your favorite songs but to see how diverse your musical tastes are and for you to discover more music. If you have only a very limited selection of artist that you listen to you'll be forced to listen to more music and discover other artist than you're currently used to. For those who already have a diverse collection you will get to see to what extent your diversity lies.

Now to be fair I have to say you'd have to listen to more than 2.5 hours of music a day to participate as anyone who only listens to music in short amounts of time will ultimately come out ahead and that's not fair to others who have actually been made to listen to things they haven't used to.

You must also have a last.fm account or something similar that keeps track of what you're listening to.

This is just a fun experiment that some music lovers and those who feel that their musical collection are lacking might enjoy.

If you're interested let me know in this thread and state any suggestions you may have to better the experiment.

Are you ready to take The Challenge?

my last.fm is last.fm/user/exaltedphoton btw.
RE: Music Challenge/Experiment
Not interested, I like the music I like and see no reason to stop listening to it. I could easily do it, with some 70GB of music that I could put on shuffle and likely never get the same song 3 times, but I would get less enjoyment from this 'challenge' than just listening to my 270 song 'favorites' playlist..
That's the good thing about it, you don't have to participate if you don't want to and I really don't see the point in posting in a thread that you're not interested in just to say you're not interested. Seems kind of useless, but that's just me. Tongue
I'm bored, waiting for more beers Smile
Aha, all is good. Smile

But I really do wish I had a larger HD, no money right now though. I need at least 1TB just for music. I am serious.
You would seriously limit me to one playing of any AC/DC song to only three times in seven days?

Fuck it.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 10, 2011 at 10:18 am)8BitAtheist Wrote: Aha, all is good. Smile

But I really do wish I had a larger HD, no money right now though. I need at least 1TB just for music. I am serious.

1 TB of music? That's 200,000 songs give or take, at an average 4 minuets a track you're looking at over 13,000 hours of music...
But who says the average number of songs I listen to are 4:00 minutes in length? In fact I have no idea how long new songs may be, there are a lot of songs that I listen to that are under a minute long. (Yes, if a nice interlude is great I consider it a song) and then there are songs that are longer than 15 minutes each, take for example the single version of X-Japan's - Art of Life, it's a 29:26~ song, almost 30 minutes and that's just one song. And then take into account the quality of the track that I listen to. Lots of people enjoy their 320kbps Mp3 files or their AAC files or their wma files or their FLAC files, I prefer flac because it gives the closest sound that I am going to get uncompressed in a reasonable filesize. Also, when stems (Muti-tracks) of songs are available (innerpartysystem and nine inch nails are a few examples of bands that give out free multi-track songs) I like to put them all together and listen to them inside of audacity so that they're not compressed. A standard multitrack song is what? 200 mb or more uncompressed? Some stems are at least 50 mb for every track have more than 8 tracks in total and And don't forget about music DVD's, videos of live concerts are still music, films that are musically based are music too, (Pink Floyd - The Wall, Angels and Airwaves - Love, etc) so, it really depends on how much you listen to and how big the filesize of the music is and also wbat type of music it is. Music Video/Concert Visualization, Movie, Lyric Video, Live Concert, DVD, Blue-ray (Blu-Rays have the capacity to hold 50gigs alone do they not?)

And then, after all that sure there will probably be a TON of room left but if I could go on and lis ten to music without never deleting it I would. Because I mostly like all kinds of music and it depends on the mood I am in and if a random song comes on then yeah I'll probably listen to it the entire way through without skipping even if I do not like it much. Plus there's the benefit of never running out of room. So yeah, at least 1TB for music. Tongue

---------
@Summerqueen, you wouldn't be limited to listening to only one ad/dc song 3 times it's just that if you do your score would lessen. Tongue And you know, people will play will likely relapse when wanting to listen to their favorite songs. haha
I stopped using last.fm since the features I used and paid for were taken away. I now have a spotify account but I don't like it as much so I'm probably quitting that one too. Anyone know of a good alternative for these?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(March 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm)8BitAtheist Wrote: But who says the average number of songs I listen to are 4:00 minutes in length?

It's a statistical mean, taking into account millions of songs, the average is almost exactly 4:00. That includes songs of all lengths, so 4:00 is a pretty good starting point.

Quote:In fact I have no idea how long new songs may be, there are a lot of songs that I listen to that are under a minute long. (Yes, if a nice interlude is great I consider it a song) and then there are songs that are longer than 15 minutes each, take for example the single version of X-Japan's - Art of Life, it's a 29:26~ song, almost 30 minutes and that's just one song.

They average out, there are databases of millions of songs, it's the closest you're going to get without doing the math on your own collection.

Quote: And then take into account the quality of the track that I listen to. Lots of people enjoy their 320kbps Mp3 files or their AAC files or their wma files or their FLAC files, I prefer flac because it gives the closest sound that I am going to get uncompressed in a reasonable filesize.

Me too, less compression especially on the bottom end. Are the majority of your tracks in FLAC though? you'd only reasonably change the average size proportionately to how many FLACs you have, they range generally from 30-60MB.

Quote:Also, when stems (Muti-tracks) of songs are available (innerpartysystem and nine inch nails are a few examples of bands that give out free multi-track songs) I like to put them all together and listen to them inside of audacity so that they're not compressed. A standard multitrack song is what? 200 mb or more uncompressed? Some stems are at least 50 mb for every track have more than 8 tracks in total and

That has to be taken into account sure, but it'd still likely have a small impact on the averages, unless your collection was chock full of them.

Quote: And don't forget about music DVD's, videos of live concerts are still music, films that are musically based are music too, (Pink Floyd - The Wall, Angels and Airwaves - Love, etc) so, it really depends on how much you listen to and how big the filesize of the music is and also wbat type of music it is. Music Video/Concert Visualization, Movie, Lyric Video, Live Concert, DVD, Blue-ray (Blu-Rays have the capacity to hold 50gigs alone do they not?)

I didn't count DVD's, that would likely have a big impact on the averages.

Quote:And then, after all that sure there will probably be a TON of room left but if I could go on and lis ten to music without never deleting it I would. Because I mostly like all kinds of music and it depends on the mood I am in and if a random song comes on then yeah I'll probably listen to it the entire way through without skipping even if I do not like it much. Plus there's the benefit of never running out of room. So yeah, at least 1TB for music. Tongue

I think 70GB will do me for now Smile I haven't even listened to 80% of my library.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 611 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2684 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 404 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6244 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3441 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 249 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1134 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 588 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 1604 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one
  Music videos that rep the POTUS'S idiocy. Brian37 9 1677 October 22, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah