Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a maths problem for you
I have a maths problem for you
How do we remove it from the school curriculum?
RE: I have a maths problem for you
Is it in our school curriculum?
You don't think this will add to the problem? Subtracting from our youths future can only multiply the issues while further separating the divide.
It already has been removed for all I can tell. Up here at the university, most students don't know how to do arithmetic without a calculator. This hurts them in calculus and above.

And don't get me started on long division.
(May 19, 2021 at 3:34 am)Eleven Wrote: How do we remove it from the school curriculum?

Change the name to 'cypher' Jethro.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 19, 2021 at 7:43 am)polymath257 Wrote: It already has been removed for all I can tell. Up here at the university, most students don't know how to do arithmetic without a calculator. This hurts them in calculus and above.

And don't get me started on long division.

I had calculus once, but I went to the doctor, got a shot for it, and it cleared up.
Math is awesome. Even long-division is cool for understanding the workings of numbers (though it will never be used in later life). I even learned the technique for doing square-roots in grade 3.

When my in elementary school brought home their math problems, I was aghast at how things have deteriorated. Everything was sentence answer, not actually calculating anything.

Question: Answer in a sentence why the number 99 is larger than the number 50.

Answer: The number 99 has more "10s" in it than the number 50.

Arghhhhhhh!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any funny/embarrassing moments you’re willing to share? Coveny 10 1372 March 24, 2018 at 4:42 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4