Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Umbrella Academy & Vanya
The Umbrella Academy & Vanya
Vanya in The Umbrella Academy is played by Elliot Page, the artist formerly known as Ellen Page.

Considering that the Vanya character is a female and that Elliot has transitioned to a male, how are they planning on evolving this character within the series that is currently filming its third season?

Elliot Page Will Continue to Star in ‘Umbrella Academy,’ Netflix Changes Credits on His Past Films
variety.com

The Umbrella Academy Season 3 Will Reportedly Address Elliot Page Coming Out
wegotthiscovered.com

Quote:Fans can’t wait to see more of Vanya Hargreeves in season 3, but the performer’s announcement has caused concern that he may wish to depart from the show for new creative avenues.

That’s not going to be the case, though, as the streaming giant has confirmed that Page will be back for the next run of the hit comic book adaptation. This has caused people to wonder, though, if the character’s storyline will be impacted by the actor’s own coming out. While that’s not necessary, as we’ve had many cisgender stars play trans roles in the past – so the reverse shouldn’t be an issue – it does sound like it’s something that may happen.

Insider Daniel Richtman recently shared a tidbit he’s heard from his sources on his Patreon page, explaining that he’s been told that season 3 will reflect Page’s own life and that Vanya will come out as trans over the new episodes.

I suppose if the comic book creator is fine with it, it shouldn't be a problem. If it was my intellectual property, however, I wouldn't want a pivotal character of mine changed in such a way. But that's just me.

That said, I support Elliot Page for having the courage to be who he is. When the body and the mind are finally in sync, true happiness can be experienced.
RE: The Umbrella Academy & Vanya
And, fortunately, Vanya is actually a boy's name in the original Russian, so it's a surprisingly lucky coincidence.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 27, 2021 at 3:54 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: And, fortunately, Vanya is actually a boy's name in the original Russian, so it's a surprisingly lucky coincidence.

Not quite.

Quote:Ваня (Vanya), a male or female diminutive of the Russian, Croatian, Serbian, Bulgarian and other Slavic given names Ivan or Ivana.
wikipedia
(May 27, 2021 at 3:55 am)Eleven Wrote:
(May 27, 2021 at 3:54 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: And, fortunately, Vanya is actually a boy's name in the original Russian, so it's a surprisingly lucky coincidence.

Not quite.

Quote:Ваня (Vanya), a male or female diminutive of the Russian, Croatian, Serbian, Bulgarian and other Slavic given names Ivan or Ivana.
wikipedia

Male, Bi-Gendered, I know that when I read that name in Russian lit, it's always a dude. Then again, I read books with far more Ivans than Ivanas.

I'm excited! That does seem to feel like a natural progression for the character, imo.

(May 27, 2021 at 3:55 am)Eleven Wrote:

Not quite.

wikipedia

Stop ruining the fun Terry.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 27, 2021 at 2:38 am)Eleven Wrote: Considering that the Vanya character is a female and that Elliot has transitioned to a male, how are they planning on evolving this character within the series that is currently filming its third season?

Who knows. Maybe he'll switch in the show as well because it is usually like that, that characters become more like the actors who play them as the show progresses. One of the famous changes is the Sisko switch from DS9.

[Image: Sisko.jpg]

The actor wanted to be bald and with beard from the start, and as the show progressed...

Or maybe Elliot will just wear one of these under his pants

[Image: Strap-4.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(May 31, 2021 at 1:55 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Or maybe Elliot will just wear one of these under his pants

[Image: Strap-4.jpg]

I don't think Elliot has had the phalloplasty yet. The top surgery, definitely, but, while I don't have access to Elliot's full-on timeline for transitioning, I think he still has a while before he can do that. He probably still has the vagina, that holdover from his time as The Woman Who Never Was. And, frankly, if Buck Angel and the increasing trend of transpeople who've chosen to not have genital surgery (including at least one of our forumites) is any indication, it's possible Elliot may never actually get rid of it.

Here's your answer, Fox

[Image: Trans.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"