Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stocking up
stocking up
Anyone else stocking up on stuff?

We went and spent a few hundred bucks on canned and dried food to replenish our larder - seeing prices have returned to normal.

I'm getting firewood put up - and filling up the propane tanks this week.

We'll be ready for the next disaster.

(waiting for the dumbass cries of "hoarder".)
RE: stocking up
I bought a chest freezer a couple of months back and have managed to fill it already. I am a hoarder, so my thing right now is to try to get rid of some of the excess and restrict myself to buying primarily for meals planned for that week. I don't even need to do that, mostly, as I've got plenty of basic ingredients on hand.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 4, 2021 at 2:18 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I bought a chest freezer a couple of months back and have managed to fill it already.  I am a hoarder, so my thing right now is to try to get rid of some of the excess and restrict myself to buying primarily for meals planned for that week.  I don't even need to do that, mostly, as I've got plenty of basic ingredients on hand.

If you buy stuff you need and use - you are simply looking ahead and being prepared.

If you keep old newspapers in piles that require you to walk through a tunnel of piles to get to the bathroom - you're a hoarder.
(July 4, 2021 at 2:10 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Anyone else stocking up on stuff?

We went and spent a few hundred bucks on canned and dried food to replenish our larder - seeing prices have returned to normal.

I am sick of crap like this.

Our species will go extinct and that is not a matter of "if" but "when". 

What I hate about fear mongering, isn't that bad happens, it does. What I hate is that there is a huge difference in accepting the natural cycle of life, which everyone should, and the superstitious bullshit that will shorten the ride needlessly.

If anything is fucking up our species ability to sustain itself, it would be global corporate greed, not Allah, or Jesus, or Yahweh or Buddha or Vishnu.

I am not going to hoard myself. I wish there was something I could do or say to prevent humanity from being a victim from it's own narcissism, but the truth is 7 billion humans will never agree to an effective degree. 

But to ignore people like Greta and the scientists who rightfully agree with her is dangerous. So if you feel you have to build a bunker to save yourself, go for it. But it will not save you.
(July 4, 2021 at 4:10 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 4, 2021 at 2:10 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Anyone else stocking up on stuff?

I am sick of crap like this.

Our species will go extinct and that is not a matter of "if" but "when". 

What I hate about fear mongering, isn't that bad happens, it does. What I hate is that there is a huge difference in accepting the natural cycle of life, which everyone should, and the superstitious bullshit that will shorten the ride needlessly.

If anything is fucking up our species ability to sustain itself, it would be global corporate greed, not Allah, or Jesus, or Yahweh or Buddha or Vishnu.

I am not going to hoard myself. I wish there was something I could do or say to prevent humanity from being a victim from it's own narcissism, but the truth is 7 billion humans will never agree to an effective degree. 

But to ignore people like Greta and the scientists who rightfully agree with her is dangerous. So if you feel you have to build a bunker to save yourself, go for it. But it will not save you.

Sure, but you can always reheat it at 375F. When the cheese starts to bubble, you’ll know it’s hot all the way through.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 4, 2021 at 2:20 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(July 4, 2021 at 2:18 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I bought a chest freezer a couple of months back and have managed to fill it already.  I am a hoarder, so my thing right now is to try to get rid of some of the excess and restrict myself to buying primarily for meals planned for that week.  I don't even need to do that, mostly, as I've got plenty of basic ingredients on hand.

If you buy stuff you need and use - you are simply looking ahead and being prepared.

If you keep old newspapers in piles that require you to walk through a tunnel of piles to get to the bathroom - you're a hoarder.

Yeah, what you guys are doing honestly doesn’t come across as hoarding. As OLB says, there’s a tremendous difference between hoarding and laying in supplies in anticipation of something like a power outage, a transport strike, etc.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't tend to stock up, I just replace things as I use them. For instance, when I open a new bottle of laundry detergent (or other cleaning product) I buy the replacement.

In the last few years with all the kids gone, I have wasted more food by buying it and not using it before the expiration date.

Reading this thread reminds me that my son has said he wants a chest freezer and I have a small one that I really could give him. I think there are a couple out of date frozen pizzas in it as well as some ice packs and maybe a couple pounds of butter. It tends to hold a turkey for half a month before Thanksgiving.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 4, 2021 at 4:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 4, 2021 at 2:20 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: If you buy stuff you need and use - you are simply looking ahead and being prepared.

Yeah, what you guys are doing honestly doesn’t come across as hoarding. As OLB says, there’s a tremendous difference between hoarding and laying in supplies in anticipation of something like a power outage, a transport strike, etc.

Boru

Right, but between a layperson, and state or federal government, please tell me why this past winter several middle American states such as Texas and Oklahoma froze their asses off? For the same reason California has a problem with wild fires. It isn't enough to dump survival up on the individual. There is no point in any government in the world, if it is all about the sake of power.

Even today, I have been shocked at the record highs in places like Montana and North Dakota.
(July 4, 2021 at 5:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 4, 2021 at 4:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yeah, what you guys are doing honestly doesn’t come across as hoarding. As OLB says, there’s a tremendous difference between hoarding and laying in supplies in anticipation of something like a power outage, a transport strike, etc.

Boru

Right, but between a layperson, and state or federal government, please tell me why this past winter several middle American states such as Texas and Oklahoma froze their asses off? For the same reason California has a problem with wild fires. It isn't enough to dump survival up on the individual. There is no point in any government in the world, if it is all about the sake of power.

Even today, I have been shocked at the record highs in places like Montana and North Dakota.

Well, we (here in Texas) decided to try winter out to see if we liked it. I already knew the answer since I grew up in the midwest but apparently some people needed a taste of being snowed in for a week.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 4, 2021 at 5:37 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(July 4, 2021 at 5:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Right, but between a layperson, and state or federal government, please tell me why this past winter several middle American states such as Texas and Oklahoma froze their asses off? For the same reason California has a problem with wild fires. It isn't enough to dump survival up on the individual. There is no point in any government in the world, if it is all about the sake of power.

Well, we (here in Texas) decided to try winter out to see if we liked it.  I already knew the answer since I grew up in the midwest but apparently some people needed a taste of being snowed in for a week.

Being on the east coast of NC, I cannot say that I have suffered the same level as California or Texas or Oklahoma, hot or cold extremes. But as long as I have lived down here, I really hate feeling like a circus pet with hurricanes guessing if I should stay or go. And that is on the rise. 

Growing up in far inland Northern Virginia just 12 miles south of Washington DC. I can tell you that our winters back in the 60s/70s and 80s were much longer. I can remember in late September and mid October, it got bone chilling cold even if it was just rain and not snow. At best early November was when the cold would really hit, and precipitation was either sleet or snow, on and off, until mid or late February. 

Even today just a few years back, in the entire time I have lived in NC, on the coast, I have had only one memorable snowstorm since 2005.