Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the love of Cathode Ray Tubes.
For the love of Cathode Ray Tubes.
It sucks that this technology is obsolete. Sure more picture and high-def is a plus with mordern day tvs and monitors but to me nothing feels more sci-fi than a tube that spits lasers out of a gun on one end to a chemically coated screen on the other end in order to give you a picture. CRTs also give this kinda cyberpunk/glassy tone to a video picture that plasmas/oleds just can't emulate. Line graphics, lasers/laser effects and vintage glowing effects look better on CRTs in my opinion.

I myself have a 1985 13" Sharp Shot Vision CRT TV. It was my Aunts and in mint condition before she gave it to us. It unfortunately saw bad days being a part of the downstairs living room. My parents, well mostly my dad, aren't that good with keeping technology looking good. When it came time to upgrade I kept it.

It still works though, it's not my main TV but I use it to play VHS tapes. I mostly use it to watch old school skateboaring movies on it like the Plan B Skateboarding Fourology. I can also hook up my blu-ray player on it via the VHS/DVD player thorugh the A/V ports and have watched online content on it this way.

Here it is in all it's glory:

It's sad that even though there was Widescreen 1080p HD CRTs in the 2000s, it didn't get enough sales to warrent keeping them around. Oh well, such is the weel of progress.
[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
RE: For the love of Cathode Ray Tubes.
I owned one of those wide screen HD, flat CRT's. It weight six tons. Glad to be rid of it.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4K Blu-ray Has Arrived StealthySkeptic 16 4166 September 8, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic