Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:48 pm

Poll: What format do you have more movies on?
This poll is closed.
Discs (Blu-rays & DVDs)
50.00%
2 50.00%
Digital (iTunes et al)
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4K Blu-ray Has Arrived
4K Blu-ray Has Arrived
4K (4x HD quality) Blu-ray coming 2015: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923

[Image: bluray-vs-hddvd.jpg]

Oh man, format wars are just GREAT for tech, aren't they? During the Blu-ray/HD DVD war way back in the time of the dinosaurs (2006), my parents hedged their bets by buying both. Now, our HD DVD collection gathers dust and if we buy any physical media at all, it's Blu-ray (with a DVD in a combo every once in a while). However, Blu-ray is only just beginning to eat away at the market share for DVD, while the new 4K Blu-rays will go up against an assortment of digital services (Amazon, iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, etc.) that mostly don't play nice with each other either.

The main advantage that digital services have is convenience to buy or rent, lower pricing (unless you want to walk to Redbox), and portability. Plus a lot of people don't really care about video quality as long as they can have the inherent flexibility of, say, playing a movie on the train on their iPad. But I still have dozens of DVDs, Blu-rays, and even CDs, because if iTunes goes out of business or my hard drive or Internet connection craps out, a bunch of my movies and songs become inaccessible (plus I can't keep them all in one place- fuck you UltraViolet), whereas my discs if well maintained can last for up to 30 years.

I think that both media formats can coexist (in another example, digital sales of music only JUST outpaced CDs), and will continue to do so for a long time, but it will still be a bloody war between disc and digital, which people will try to cast as to the death. However, 4K video will be at least 100 gigabytes in size, and that will be very hard to stream, especially in areas with slow or throttled Internet connection (it could be decades before the entire country will have decent Internet!), and Blu-ray won't have that problem. Plus, 4K Blu-rays could easily be used to store larger and more complex games on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (both of which can support 4K video and 3D Blu-rays).

I think that sales of 4K TVs, and adoption of 4K in general, can be spurred by newer movies on 4K Blu-ray (like Star Wars Episode VII, Avengers Age of Ultron, and Jurassic World). On the other hand, especially if UltraViolet continues to irritate people by forcing people to redeem digital copies of their 4K or regular Blu-rays in a non-iTunes service, average consumers like I said may be more concerned with price vs video and audio quality for TVs, players, and discs and just choose to stay with what's comparatively easier

What do you guys think?
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: 4K Blu-ray: Let the Next Format War Begin
I think I'll wait before I spend a dime on new video tech. Honestly, my eyes are getting too old to appreciate anything beyond 1080p.

P.S. get off my lawn.
RE: 4K Blu-ray: Let the Next Format War Begin
(September 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I think I'll wait before I spend a dime on new video tech. Honestly, my eyes are getting too old to appreciate anything beyond 1080p.

P.S. get off my lawn.

I also currently am just fine with a 32'' TV that does 1080p, and I have 25 Blu-rays, 50 DVDs, 45 UltraViolet movies, and 15 iTunes movies, all of which look fantastic, although even with the smaller screen I still give the edge to Blu-ray (and I can also order a Blu-ray on Amazon for less than it costs to buy on digital). Do you have mostly discs or digital?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: 4K Blu-ray Has Arrived
(September 7, 2014 at 8:56 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote:
(September 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I think I'll wait before I spend a dime on new video tech. Honestly, my eyes are getting too old to appreciate anything beyond 1080p.

P.S. get off my lawn.

I also currently am just fine with a 32'' TV that does 1080p, and I have 25 Blu-rays, 50 DVDs, 45 UltraViolet movies, and 15 iTunes movies, all of which look fantastic, although even with the smaller screen I still give the edge to Blu-ray (and I can also order a Blu-ray on Amazon for less than it costs to buy on digital). Do you have mostly discs or digital?

I also have a 32" 1080p TV. My only use for discs to to rip to digital. Practically everything I watch is stored on my media server - most of it encoded to less than 1080p. I have 12 terabytes of primary storage and 10 terabytes of secondary storage. At 4K, I'd be shopping for more - but why?
Recall, the 'correct' viewing distance from a 60" 4K TV is like 5 feet. If you are a 6 footer and in a recliner, your feet will rub the screen, and your eyeballs are still too far from the screen.

4K needs a BIG ASS TV, 120" to 160".

(yeah, I know, get a projector, but I HATE projectors)
There are so few movies worth watching that it is not a major concern.
I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD. I usually watch movies on Netflix. Or theatres.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
Hell, if it was under $5000, I'd buy a 120" 4K, but that is about as big as I could do in the living room, and even that is going to require moving a thermostat and a heating register.

And I'd be happy with one 4K movie for a while, Dark City . . .
(September 7, 2014 at 9:09 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(September 7, 2014 at 8:56 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote: I also currently am just fine with a 32'' TV that does 1080p, and I have 25 Blu-rays, 50 DVDs, 45 UltraViolet movies, and 15 iTunes movies, all of which look fantastic, although even with the smaller screen I still give the edge to Blu-ray (and I can also order a Blu-ray on Amazon for less than it costs to buy on digital). Do you have mostly discs or digital?

I also have a 32" 1080p TV. My only use for discs to to rip to digital. Practically everything I watch is stored on my media server - most of it encoded to less than 1080p. I have 12 terabytes of primary storage and 10 terabytes of secondary storage. At 4K, I'd be shopping for more - but why?

What do you use to rip your discs? I use my MacBook Pro's internal DVD drive and HandBrake (working with VLC, which has the necessary libraries to break the DVD DRM). What's nice about HandBrake is that I can set it to output the file as 1080p MP4, which makes it a breeze to import the file into iTunes and then play it on my Apple TV. I also saved some shelf space one time by ripping eight DVD movies into iTunes files and then burning them back onto a blank data DVD, which plays perfectly in my Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player. But having a media server sounds really awesome!

For me, I just got the best of both worlds tonight by ordering the Blu-ray of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and getting the standard definition rental of the movie on Amazon Instant Video, which is one of the many reasons I think both disc and digital can coexist, even in the 4K format war.

[Image: disc-plus-generic-tcg-1._V168937056_.jpg]

I just use Netflix and the DVR. I have hard copies of movies I bought 8+ years ago that I have yet to watch (mostly from when the Tower Records across from my campus went under).
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For the love of Cathode Ray Tubes. AkiraTheViking 1 304 August 10, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Spongebob