Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interference
Interference
The things we interrupt often define our moral character and at times test our bravery, our courage and just how far we are willing to go to protect others.

My morality is based on well being. For a full description of this, you can find no better example than on youtube 
with a video made by Theoretical Bullshit - Treatise on Morality

The thing is, if I'm walking along the street and I see someone in harms way and I have the ability to protect that person, then I will interfere in whatever ill will is directed toward that person in order to help that person's present and future well being. In other words, I give a shit about what happens to someone.

There may be times in which I can't or won't interfere because my own human existence can end.

But let's say I can press a button and magically stop a rape or murder or any number of other things, accidental slip in the bathtub, etc
Things that would decrease the well being of another person. 

Ok, so magic button pushing and I can stop a rape.
I mean, that's the right thing to do, is it not ? That's the moral thing to do.

Now what if I hired someone to specifically rape someone else. I actually planned for this person A to rape this person B. This is my plan.
Then I watch as my plan goes into effect. I don't stop it. I don't push a magic button. I let it proceed as I planned it.
Person B now has all the mental trauma and physical trauma of a rape that will last for the rest of their life.

If I, as a human being, was in a position to stop person A from raping person B, then I would interfere.

As a theist, if you see everything as god's plan, then I beg you to interfere in that plan as much as you can.
Stop a murder, stop a rape, feed the hungry, house the homeless, protect your family from god's plan.

Ask yourself, "What would an atheist do ?" and then do that. 
Interfere
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
RE: Interference
Short version - if you have the means to act, you have the responsibility to act (this is known as Rule 303, but originally had a slightly different context).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Stop a person that's texting from walking into the path of a moving car, yes. Stop them from walking into a street pole, nope, I've probably done them a favor.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Its strange but I don't think religion, Christianity at least, looks at it this way, despite clear guidance from Jesus to do good in the world. Christians teach their children to do good and not to be dishonest but then they fall back on the "god's plan" thing whenever things go awry. I spent over 20 years in Christianity and the time spent discussing how we should treat other people was miniscule compared to the time spent instructing us to believe in Jesus, something we all already professed to do. It wasn't until I got out of the church that I explored real reasons for being an ethical person and the ramifications of an ethical vs unethical life.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 12, 2021 at 6:57 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Its strange but I don't think religion, Christianity at least, looks at it this way, despite clear guidance from Jesus to do good in the world.  Christians teach their children to do good and not to be dishonest but then they fall back on the "god's plan" thing whenever things go awry.  I spent over 20 years in Christianity and the time spent discussing how we should treat other people was miniscule compared to the time spent instructing us to believe in Jesus, something we all already professed to do.  It wasn't until I got out of the church that I explored real reasons for being an ethical person and the ramifications of an ethical vs unethical life.

You've just put into words an ineffable problem I've always had with Christianity. 90% of Christians I've met are totally apathetic about morality. They are much more concerned with the question: How can we portray ourselves as the most moral people? They are so single-mindedly concerned with that latter question they by default revoke their own status as people concerned with what is moral. There's no room for thinking about what is right when you are so single-mindedly concerned with who is right.
No one has an obligation to stop God's Plan from unfolding. It's not called God's Plan for nothing. It is not to be interfered with.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(September 12, 2021 at 7:08 pm)Ahriman Wrote: No one has an obligation to stop God's Plan from unfolding. It's not called God's Plan for nothing. It is not to be interfered with.

Look around you. If this is God’s plan, it needs to be interfered with.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 12, 2021 at 7:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 12, 2021 at 7:08 pm)Ahriman Wrote: No one has an obligation to stop God's Plan from unfolding. It's not called God's Plan for nothing. It is not to be interfered with.

Look around you. If this is God’s plan, it needs to be interfered with.

Boru
Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.
(September 12, 2021 at 7:20 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(September 12, 2021 at 7:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Look around you. If this is God’s plan, it needs to be interfered with.

Boru
Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.

Right. Starving children, abused women, pandemics, war refugees - better to do nothing, right?

You’re a jackass.

Boru
(September 12, 2021 at 7:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 12, 2021 at 7:20 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.

Right. Starving children, abused women, pandemics, war refugees - better to do nothing, right?

You’re a jackass.

Boru
I suppose you have a plan for stopping all of those things from happening......?