Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would Hitchens do?
What would Hitchens do?
Pure speculation on anyone's part. But from your perspective, do you think Christopher Hitchens would have said stay or go regarding Afghanistan?

My point of view knowing how much he hated Saddam Hussein and how much he railed against theocracy, I'd guess, and only guess that he would have argued that the withdraw from Afghanistan would be a bad thing. 

I am torn on the issue myself. On the one hand, as we know now, America could not "nation build" like we did with Japan and Germany after WW2. But, on the other hand, America has strategic bases around the world even today, such as South Korea and Germany. 

What say you?
RE: What would Hitchens do?
Hitchens rarely met a war he didn’t like. He was against Vietnam and the Kuwait intervention, but pretty much every other US military venture met with his approval. 

He stopped just short of being a warmonger.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 14, 2021 at 9:12 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hitchens rarely met a war he didn’t like. He was against Vietnam and the Kuwait intervention, but pretty much every other US military venture met with his approval. 

Boru

I get that. But I think he'd agree that, in theory, that not having bases in Okinawa or South Korea would be a strategic mistake. 

I am not sure what his position was on Bush's invasion of Iraq was. But I do know he hated Saddam and had lectures about his coup. 

Hitchens strongly and very publicly supported afghanistan and iraq, and just nation building in general.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 14, 2021 at 9:38 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 14, 2021 at 9:12 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hitchens rarely met a war he didn’t like. He was against Vietnam and the Kuwait intervention, but pretty much every other US military venture met with his approval. 

Boru

I get that. But I think he'd agree that, in theory, that not having bases in Okinawa or South Korea would be a strategic mistake. 

I am not sure what his position was on Bush's invasion of Iraq was. But I do know he hated Saddam and had lectures about his coup. 

(Bold mine)

These things are easily lookupable.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not sure why we're wondering what a dead guy would think. They're dead. They really don't care what happens now. If our positions were reversed, I have no doubts that Christopher Hitchens would not be wondering what I'd think. This is a weird phenomenon I see far too often. "What would ____ have thought". Fill in the blank with George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, or whoever. Well, feel free to ask them. They won't answer, because they don't have thoughts on anything anymore on account of being dead.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If there would be a depression, what would Trump say if he ran for reelection? Jehanne 26 3185 February 27, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Christopher Hitchens vs Hillary Clinton Czechlervitz30 67 6452 October 19, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hitchens and Egyptian atheists. Brian37 1 640 October 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  Atheist trashes Hitchens. Brian37 14 3651 June 26, 2013 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  The Time Margaret Thatcher Spanked Christopher Hitchens CapnAwesome 1 1832 April 17, 2013 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  "Changing Zeitgeist" The Always god-like C. Hitchens RachelSkates 2 2906 August 19, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: tavarish