Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Sects of Atheism
The Sects of Atheism
Hello. I’m new here. I’m a believer in God. In Jesus more specifically. 
In this topic I’d like to discuss some definitions and where this leads you as a person. 

Can you please describe what and where you are in a belief system? Or no belief system? Or lack of belief?

Once you’ve answered that, can you please answer the following: What can you tell me about souls and the existence of an afterlife?

Thank you.
RE: The Sects of Atheism
I lack a god(s) belief system, a soul belief system and an afterlife belief system (as I think you believe it).

If you'd like to know why, it's because there I've not been presented with any credible evidence that I find convincing.

You're welcome.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 1, 2021 at 6:15 pm)brewer Wrote: I lack a god(s) belief system, a soul belief system and an afterlife belief system (as I think you believe it).

If you'd like to know why, it's because there I've not been presented with any credible evidence that I find convincing.

You're welcome.

Thank you.

What can you tell me about souls and the afterlife?
I can see how most every one is going to get stuck on the title, considering there is no such thing as sects of atheism.

Atheists are varied people. The only thing we all have in common is our lack of belief in god(s). Atheism is not a belief system, per say, so much as it is merely an absence of belief in a deity or deities.

The soul does not exist. People tend to confuse the conscience for a soul. As far as an afterlife, there simply isn't one.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 1, 2021 at 6:17 pm)Foxaire Wrote: I can see how most every one is going to get stuck on the title, considering there is no such thing as sects of atheism.

Atheists are varied people. The only thing we all have in common is our lack of belief in god(s). Atheism is not a belief system, per say, so much as it is merely an absence of belief in a deity or deities.

The soul does not exist. People tend to confuse the conscience for a soul. As far as an afterlife, there simply isn't one.

The title is provocative for sure.

Okay thank you for answering both questions. You’re saying the soul and the afterlife doesn’t exist. This is a belief system because nobody has proof and you’ve defined yourself as having a “lack of belief”.
What are you doing?
Same here: lack of belief in God or gods which follows from my lack of knowledge of whether gods exist or not (agnosticism, though I would call agnostics a sect).

Same deal with the afterlife: no evidence, no knowledge, therefore no belief. As for souls, I like how Nietzsche puts it: "soul is a word for something about the body." There isn't some airy fairy thing called a soul. But soul is a thing we ascribe to beings with conscious awareness. That conscious awareness is caused by brain functioning.
(November 1, 2021 at 6:05 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Hello. I’m new here. I’m a believer in God. In Jesus more specifically. 
In this topic I’d like to discuss some definitions and where this leads you as a person. 

Can you please describe what and where you are in a belief system? Or no belief system? Or lack of belief?

Once you’ve answered that, can you please answer the following: What can you tell me about souls and the existence of an afterlife?

Thank you.

Hard atheist. No souls. No afterlife.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 1, 2021 at 6:23 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Same here: lack of belief in God or gods which follows from my lack of knowledge of whether gods exist or not (agnosticism, though I would call agnostics a sect).

Same deal with the afterlife: no evidence, no knowledge, therefore no belief. As for souls, I like how Nietzsche puts it: "soul is a word for something about the body." There isn't some airy fairy thing called a soul. But soul is a thing we ascribe to beings with conscious awareness. That conscious awareness is caused by brain functioning.

Thank you. You sound like a true atheist, but I’m waiting for one here to give me the correct answer. I am going to call this sect “The Meat Machines”. Meat Machines are basically people whose value is just that. Meat. We will get to this later.
Your answer on soul, skirts on philosophy though and based on your position as “lack of belief” you shouldn’t delve into any philosophy. Do you agree/disagree with this?
There are no 'sects' of atheism.

The only bar, so to speak, that has to be cleared in order to be an atheist, is to NOT be convinced that gods exist. Some atheists go further, and claim to know that gods do not exist, but the fact is, they have still cleared the bar of not being convinced.

Atheism is: not a worldview, has no dogma, no doctrine, no leaders, or 'holy' texts. It is only a single position on a single claim.

My atheism is based on the fact that no theists, in the history of mankind, has ever been able to meet their burden of proof, for their claim that a god  exists. They are unable to produce demonstrable, falsifiable evidence, and valid and sound logic to support their claims. And since a god seems to be playing the longest game of hide and seek in history, my atheism will continue.

My atheism is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one.

As far as souls and an afterlife is concerned, I see no reasons to believe those things exist.

Everything that is supposedly attributed to a soul by theists (that can actually be demonstrated to exist), can actually be attributed to a physical brain. I also see no reason to believe an afterlife exists, because, since everything that is attributed to a soul by theists, actually no longer exists, when the physical brain dies.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(November 1, 2021 at 6:26 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hard atheist. No souls. No afterlife.

Boru

I think you’re in a bit of a contradiction here my friend because what you see as Hard I see as Confusing.
You’re basically believing that there is absolutely no soul and no afterlife. 100% hard belief and then you want to define yourself as having a “lack of belief”? How?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27075 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12451 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12121 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10463 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11995 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38052 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack