Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Why?
Why Why?
[quote pid='2073857' dateline='1636097793']
Why is it so important for human beings (some more than others) to find an answer to the question of why we exist? 

I can see all the usual responses:
  • My life doesn't have meaning otherwise
  • I won't feel fulfilled without having a purpose
  • I need to know what happens when I die
Theists fill the void with the concept of an omnipotent being that magically has all the answers.... apart from it doesn't.

To the best of my knowledge, Christianity does not provide a reason for our existence, other than saying God created us but his purpose is so unknowable and obscure that we shouldn't ask.

How is this any better than saying "I don't know"? Ie. instead elevating all provided answers to the important questions to vague "we cannot guess the will of God" bullshit.

The main criticism Theists have of science is that it can't / doesn't attempt to answer the ultimate question of "why" teleologically, which is correct. However nothing in religion answers anything either other than supposedly giving an answer to "How" we came to be. 

Coming back to my original question - why is it so hard for most people to deal with uncertainty and ambiguity, that they would rather clutch at any explanation (no matter how vague, unfulfilling and unlikely under even modest logical scrutiny) than be truly comfortable with simply not knowing? Is this just plain and simple human nature?
[/quote]
RE: Why Why?
God is the primitive variant of a brain fart.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 5, 2021 at 3:36 am)slartibartfast Wrote: [quote pid='2073857' dateline='1636097793']
Why is it so important for human beings (some more than others) to find an answer to the question of why we exist? 

I can see all the usual responses:
  • My life doesn't have meaning otherwise
  • I won't feel fulfilled without having a purpose
  • I need to know what happens when I die
Theists fill the void with the concept of an omnipotent being that magically has all the answers.... apart from it doesn't.

To the best of my knowledge, Christianity does not provide a reason for our existence, other than saying God created us but his purpose is so unknowable and obscure that we shouldn't ask.

How is this any better than saying "I don't know"? Ie. instead elevating all provided answers to the important questions to vague "we cannot guess the will of God" bullshit.

The main criticism Theists have of science is that it can't / doesn't attempt to answer the ultimate question of "why" teleologically, which is correct. However nothing in religion answers anything either other than supposedly giving an answer to "How" we came to be. 

Coming back to my original question - why is it so hard for most people to deal with uncertainty and ambiguity, that they would rather clutch at any explanation (no matter how vague, unfulfilling and unlikely under even modest logical scrutiny) than be truly comfortable with simply not knowing? Is this just plain and simple human nature?

[/quote]

Fear of death.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I concerned more with 'how'.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 5, 2021 at 3:36 am)slartibartfast Wrote: Why is it so important for human beings (some more than others) to find an answer to the question of why we exist? 
Well........

Quote:Coming back to my original question - why is it so hard for most people to deal with uncertainty and ambiguity, that they would rather clutch at any explanation (no matter how vague, unfulfilling and unlikely under even modest logical scrutiny) than be truly comfortable with simply not knowing? Is this just plain and simple human nature?
B-mine.  Yes, it's human nature.  More particularly, the whys of a god are predictable and exploitable and that's the purpose of theistic gods...whereas how is a past tense description of nuts and bolts.

Still, I don't think it's so much a problem that the whys of life are uncertain or ambiguous - at least not with respect to how the faithful employ them..but that their whys are commonly atrocious. If the purpose of our existence is to be a bunch of insufferable pricks, as evangelical christianity insists - then uncertainty and ambiguity aren't really the issue.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 5, 2021 at 7:01 am)brewer Wrote: I concerned more with 'how'.

Me too. But science does a pretty good job with "how".
Because "by chance" doesn't seem to some people to answer the question "Why?"
For alot of people, it doesn't seem particularly accurate, either. A question being answerable doesn't guarantee that every answer people give will be sensible or accurate (and this question can have plenty of answers depending on the specific person you're talking to) - but with respect to the whys that we exist..in an important sense, they're self certifying.

People telling you their why aren't mounting an argument - they're making a declaration of intent.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Arrogance, ignorance, and fear, which are byproducts of the mind. The "mind" itself, is just a byproduct of a large, cognitive, aware brain that was allowed to relax and ponder due to the safety created by the fact that it was smarter than everything else.

In the early ons, humans did not have any clue to the natural sciences going on around them. So, they made stuff up to quell their fears. When a volcano erupted, they had no idea to the events that led up to its eruption. That over time, pressure, heat, and volume would eventually lead to its eruption. So, they invented gods to appease. After generations and generations of god and or gods being ingrained into the human psyche, they still fear the unknown, and gods help most overcome those fears.
I wonder if people who continue to make propitiations to the god of the volcano can be said to have overcome their fear? I don't know that christian churches are full of people who've overcome their fear of death, either. Seems like both groups are still armpit deep in it. Still failing, wildly, to face it. Stuck bargaining, and not just that, bargaining on the most ludicrous of premises.