Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to go from here?
Where to go from here?
Looking for advice on some things as I consider myself very new as an atheist and I had some questions.

Where do you really go from here? I've come to the conclusion that there are no gods, no heaven, no hell, no afterlife, and that when I die I'll either rot in the ground or be cremated and just cease to exist. That the universe just came into being with no specific purpose, so now what? Or does there even need to be a 'now what?'

I don't know how many atheists here were either born and raised atheist versus falling out of religion and becoming atheist, but it really messes with your head somewhat (at least I think so) after something you thought to be the truth for so long turns out to be a web of lies and that people you thought were real turns out to be fictional creations to support a religion that was bent on controlling the population with absurd laws and rules. I've been told to question everything and I have been. Do I start studying up on science now? Research some well known atheists? Or just live content that something came from nothing and my destiny is whatever I make it?

Thought it'd make for an interesting discussion. Especially for any new atheists out there like myself still trying to make sense of it all.
RE: Where to go from here?
I was brought up Christian until around the age of 12 I realised it was all bullshit... that's it, no gods, no devil, no heaven, no hell.
I have no need to "go anywhere from here"
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Like politics, how much or how little of your headspace you devote to it, is, entirely personal.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Now you get to live your life free from all that religious gunk that messed with your mind. It's a good feeling, this thing called rational thought.

You're no longer throwing money and time into fictional lies.
You can sleep in on Sunday or whatever day you want. You longer have to worry about some torment that might befall you because your great great grandmother stole an apple from a tree.

Do whatever you feel makes your life worth living.
Nothing has really changed about living. You're simply more mindful of the people around you and the consequences of your own actions.

This is the one and only life we are guaranteed to have. Use it wisely. Be proud of what you do with it.

Lastly a universe from nothing ?
At what point in the past was there ever a nothing ?
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
Yeah, do what you did before but without feeling guilt, and without going to Church.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 18, 2021 at 1:12 pm)T.J. Wrote: I don't know how many atheists here were either born and raised atheist versus falling out of religion and becoming atheist, but it really messes with your head somewhat (at least I think so) after something you thought to be the truth for so long turns out to be a web of lies and that people you thought were real turns out to be fictional creations to support a religion that was bent on controlling the population with absurd laws and rules. I've been told to question everything and I have been. Do I start studying up on science now? Research some well known atheists? Or just live content that something came from nothing and my destiny is whatever I make it?

I was 50 when I became an atheist -- 15 years ago now. I studied more science and read more books by atheists, but I like to read anyway. You don't have to question everything, since chances are good that you never really behaved by a lot of what you were supposed to believe anyway. Mainly I've been happy to live more honestly and accurately, without all the cognitive dissonance.

Plus other atheists are much more open and fun to talk with than theists.
My activity doesn't really align with disbelief. I was a fierce debater in favor of rationalism bother before and after Hinduism. Now I just don't find it a valuable use of my time.

If you're going to get involved, then get involved. But nothing says that you have to do so.
If you mean go after death, I'm OK with I don't know. Didn't matter to me before I was born, doubt it will matter after I croak.

If you mean what do you do now without religion, do what ever makes you happy within your abilities. If you think you need a philosophy there are plenty to pick from that are not religious.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I would say, go ahead and live as if God exists anyway, that way you might retain some dignity and honor.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(November 18, 2021 at 4:28 pm)Ahriman Wrote: I would say, go ahead and live as if God exists anyway, that way you might retain some dignity and honor.

Doesn't seem to have worked for you. Coffee