Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethnocentrism
Ethnocentrism

From the description : Ethnocentrism in Psychology is loosely defined as the inability to think outside one’s own cultural experience, and a tendency to assume that what happens in our own culture is common to other cultures.

Sometimes, psychologists draw conclusions from studies focused on one culture or group and assume it can be generalised to other groups or cultures. This phenomena has been common with research conducted in Western countries like the US and UK, although more so in the past.

Generally speaking, there are two forms of ethnocentrism; the first, more brutal form of ethnocentrism, is an explicit belief that one’s group (social, ethnic or cultural) is more important than others.

The softer version of ethnocentrism is the idea that as individuals and groups, we find it hard to think outside our own cultural experience, so we just unquestioningly assume that the way things happen in our own culture is just the way that things happen in all other cultures. This means that, in research, psychologists might design research or draw conclusions in a way that makes sense or applies only to their cultural group, but may have little meaning to other cultural groups. This could be because the sample in the study reflects only one culture. It may also be that the questions asked, the task given or the interpretation of the results assumes a particular cultural background.
RE: Ethnocentrism
Moderator Notice
Move here from 'Off Topic'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 30, 2022 at 7:14 am)Plague Happy Wrote:

From the description : Ethnocentrism in Psychology is loosely defined as the inability to think outside one’s own cultural experience, and a tendency to assume that what happens in our own culture is common to other cultures.

Sometimes, psychologists draw conclusions from studies focused on one culture or group and assume it can be generalised to other groups or cultures. This phenomena has been common with research conducted in Western countries like the US and UK, although more so in the past.

Generally speaking, there are two forms of ethnocentrism; the first, more brutal form of ethnocentrism, is an explicit belief that one’s group (social, ethnic or cultural) is more important than others.

The softer version of ethnocentrism is the idea that as individuals and groups, we find it hard to think outside our own cultural experience, so we just unquestioningly assume that the way things happen in our own culture is just the way that things happen in all other cultures. This means that, in research, psychologists might design research or draw conclusions in a way that makes sense or applies only to their cultural group, but may have little meaning to other cultural groups. This could be because the sample in the study reflects only one culture. It may also be that the questions asked, the task given or the interpretation of the results assumes a particular cultural background.

Ethnically and culturally, I'm Irish. I feel this makes me free of even 'soft' ethnocentrism, since the notion that other cultures would approach issues the way the Irish do is bloody terrifying.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 30, 2022 at 7:14 am)Plague Happy Wrote:

A Japanese psychoanalyst once told me that he had to use different facial expressions depending on whether his analysand was Japanese or Western.

Japanese people have a little half-smile they do when they want to look non-threatening. I've seen the police do this a lot. The psychoanalyst told me that when his analysand is Japanese he does this smile when they come into the room, but the same expression looks unserious or mocking to an American, so he has a serious face he does for them.
(January 30, 2022 at 8:16 am)Belacqua Wrote: Japanese people have a little half-smile they do when they want to look non-threatening.

Yes it's interesting how different people deal with situations. 

Black people have a tendency to prolong eye contact if you catch their eye. Whereas white people usually look away after a moment so as to avoid coming off as confrontational, black people often just keep looking, which creates the appearance of aggression and confrontation.
(January 30, 2022 at 8:38 am)Plague Happy Wrote:
(January 30, 2022 at 8:16 am)Belacqua Wrote: Japanese people have a little half-smile they do when they want to look non-threatening.

Black people have a tendency to prolong eye contact if you catch their eye. Whereas white people usually look away after a moment so as to avoid coming off as confrontational, black people often just keep looking, which creates the appearance of aggression and confrontation.

Hello new entity and Welcome Woof.

No one exists outside my pack except in dreams.

Can I interest you in an introduction thread?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
O
(January 30, 2022 at 8:38 am)OPlague Happy Wrote:

There are so many little differences like this, that we just don't notice if we stay in our normal bubble. 

Like the way Americans will joke in a friendly way with the girl at the cash register, or the lady cleaning your teeth. That's seen as strange in Japan. Except now Japanese Starbuck's is training their baristas to act American, and it seems fake and slightly scary.

All the small things add up. I'm sure different people may be more different than we imagine. 

Recently I learned about the acronym WEIRD, as used by psychologists. You've heard of this, I expect. 

I often think of these differences on this forum, when we talk about religion. What seems self-evident and undeniable to people like us (and therefore the opposite seems unforgivably stupid) no doubt seems completely different to someone in a different bubble.
^^^I think I'd like to bite this one.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 30, 2022 at 7:14 am)Plague Happy Wrote: Ethnocentrism in Psychology is loosely defined as the inability to think outside one’s own cultural experience, and a tendency to assume that what happens in our own culture is common to other cultures.

My experience would just deem that as entirely due to: 'Either a severe lack of travel, a severe lack of internet, a severe lack of understanding—or any combination of those three.'
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
(January 30, 2022 at 9:18 am)Lobster Lover Wrote:
(January 30, 2022 at 7:14 am)Plague Happy Wrote: Ethnocentrism in Psychology is loosely defined as the inability to think outside one’s own cultural experience, and a tendency to assume that what happens in our own culture is common to other cultures.

My experience would just deem that as entirely due to: 'Either a severe lack of travel, a severe lack of internet, a severe lack of understanding—or any combination of those three.'

Well if you're in a western country you don't even need to travel. These days, the world comes to you. They call it a cultural melting pot. More like a cultural mess.