Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magnetar - intense magnetic field - Cool toy
Magnetar - intense magnetic field - Cool toy
Source:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/3310...c-backyard

Quote:As the mysterious object rotates, highly polarized or twisted beams of radiation shoot from its poles. Every 18.18 minutes, for 30 to 60 seconds, a beam crosses our line of sight, and the object starts to flash.  “It was kind of spooky for an astronomer because there’s nothing known in the sky that does that,” said team leader Dr. Natasha Hurley-Walker in a statement. Slow transients, like a supernova, might happen on a scale of days to months. Faster ones like pulsars flash on and off within milliseconds. “It’s just every 18.18 minutes, like clockwork,” she said.

These monstrous neutron stars cram more than the mass of the Sun into a sphere about 20 km across. But even at 50 times that distance from a magnetar, the devastating magnetic fields are incompatible with the chemistry of all known life.

Within a magnetic field of magnetar strength, physics as we know it becomes something… different. “X-ray photons readily split in 2 or merge together. The vacuum itself is polarized, becoming strongly birefringent, like a calcite crystal. Atoms are deformed into long cylinders thinner than the quantum-relativistic wavelength of an electron.”

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetar

Like other neutron stars, magnetars are around 20 km (12 mi) in diameter, and have a mass about 1.4 solar masses. They are formed by the collapse of a star with a mass 10–25 times that of the Sun. The density of the interior of a magnetar is such that a tablespoon of its substance would have a mass of over 100 million tons.[2] Magnetars are differentiated from other neutron stars by having even stronger magnetic fields, and by rotating more slowly in comparison. Most magnetars rotate once every two to ten seconds,[14] whereas typical neutron stars rotate one to ten times per second.[15] A magnetar's magnetic field gives rise to very strong and characteristic bursts of X-rays and gamma rays. The active life of a magnetar is short. Their strong magnetic fields decay after about 10,000 years, after which activity and strong X-ray emission cease. Given the number of magnetars observable today, one estimate puts the number of inactive magnetars in the Milky Way at 30 million or more.[14]
RE: Magnetar - intense magnetic field - Cool toy
I think it’s only a matter of time until we are treated to a horribly misinterpreted passage of the Quran that predicted the existence of magnetars.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I am not sure I would like to play with a toy like that. The synchrotron radiation emanating from a magnetic field like that sweeping through any charged particle around this thing will probably quickly kill life within several AUs.
(February 20, 2022 at 8:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think it’s only a matter of time until we are treated to a horribly misinterpreted passage of the Quran that predicted the existence of magnetars.

Boru

I think you are forgetting Matthew 21:17.
A gamma-ray burst from a magnetar quake hit Earth in 2004. The source was 50,000 light-years away. If it were within 10 light-years, it would've damaged our atmosphere and possibly killed us all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? vulcanlogician 28 2099 August 7, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 808 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4880 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  God did not create any magnetic charges! Jehanne 7 1710 May 25, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  This is Really Cool Minimalist 7 1594 September 6, 2014 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Effective Field Theory Made Simple little_monkey 0 760 June 3, 2014 at 8:00 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  Quantum Field Theory Made Easy little_monkey 10 3934 May 13, 2014 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Cool pic of our sun! IATIA 3 1236 November 16, 2011 at 9:57 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  Cool Chang'-E2 video orogenicman 0 1098 November 16, 2010 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Scientists capture first direct images of theoretically predicted magnetic monopoles Autumnlicious 3 2192 October 31, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake