Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God did not create any magnetic charges!
God did not create any magnetic charges!
I am reading Introduction to Electrodynamics, 3rd edition, by David Griffiths; on page 328, he states, "Apparently God just didn't make any magnetic charge..."

I have noticed this a lot in some of the physics textbooks that I own; is this a standing joke among physicists?
RE: God did not create any magnetic charges!
(May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I am reading Introduction to Electrodynamics, 3rd edition, by David Griffiths; on page 328, he states, "Apparently God just didn't make any magnetic charge..."

I have noticed this a lot in some of the physics textbooks that I own; is this a standing joke among physicists?

I really hate this shit. 

The problem with ALL religions is that they all pull this crap. Many in their ranks can accept science but only up until it conflicts with their core claims. 

All one has to do to know this is nonsense when Christians or Muslims or Jews or Buddhists or Hindus do this, is simple.

Do a goggle search and put any religious label in front of the word "science" and you will find that there are a slew of every religion with links that claim that science points to their club.

It does not work when ANY religion tries to co opt science.
(May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I am reading Introduction to Electrodynamics, 3rd edition, by David Griffiths; on page 328, he states, "Apparently God just didn't make any magnetic charge..."

I strongly suspect Griffiths is tongue-in-cheek invoking Einstein's use of God as nature here...

That being said, magnetic monopoles are not ruled out to exist at all. They appear rather automatically in extended field theories as opposed to pure electrodynamics where they are somewhat unnatural.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 24, 2017 at 5:01 pm)Alex K Wrote:

I strongly suspect Griffiths  is tongue-in-cheek invoking Einstein's use of God as nature here...

That being said, magnetic monopoles are not ruled out to exist at all. They appear rather automatically in extended field theories as opposed to pure electrodynamics where they are somewhat unnatural.

In all fairness to Griffiths, he does not rule-out magnetic monopoles entirely.  I have noticed the same "God verbiage" in Halliday, Resnick and Walker's book Fundamentals of Physics, also.  Of course, Alex, you are definitively "in the know" on this one, and so, I think that you are correct here.  I have heard that physicists are the most unbelieving of the sciences, but have also heard that of biology, also.
Wasn't it Darwin who remarked God had an uncommon fondness for beetles ?

And your vorlon adds:

despite being profoundly evident in the world, that fondness is MYSTERIOUSLY unremarked upon in Scripture . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 24, 2017 at 6:44 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Wasn't it Darwin who remarked God had an uncommon fondness for beetles ?

And your vorlon adds:

despite being profoundly evident in the world, that fondness is MYSTERIOUSLY unremarked upon in Scripture . . .

No, I think it was Haldane ..
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If it wasn't featured on The Big Bang Theory......
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I think Darwin spoke in code then so as to not offend the status quo.
He was referring to the dung beetle of course with all the emphasis on the dung!

Makes more sense now dunnit?

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Magnetar - intense magnetic field - Cool toy Ferrocyanide 4 530 February 23, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Science Nerds: Could Jupiter's Magnetic Field be harvested for energy? vulcanlogician 28 2210 August 7, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How Many Bosons Would it Take to Create a False Vacuum? Rhondazvous 19 6347 June 19, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  What Kind of Photons are Used to Create Positron-Electron Pairs? Rhondazvous 8 1371 January 24, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Scientists Create never-before-seen Form of Matter AtheistCreed 10 4349 September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Duke U. scientists create invisibility cloak Jackalope 1 1152 November 12, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Scientists capture first direct images of theoretically predicted magnetic monopoles Autumnlicious 3 2198 October 31, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  Stephen Hawking: God was not needed to create the universe DiRNiS 29 10878 September 12, 2010 at 9:44 am
Last Post: solja247