Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question: Proving the volume of a pyramid
Question: Proving the volume of a pyramid
Is there a way to prove this algebraically without the use of calculus? And without resorting to 3d visual demos, which have caused me more confusion than clarity.
RE: Question: Proving the volume of a pyramid
(March 3, 2022 at 2:14 pm)GrandizerII Wrote: Is there a way to prove this algebraically without the use of calculus? And without resorting to 3d visual demos, which have caused me more confusion than clarity.

V =a^2 x h/3

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 3, 2022 at 2:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 3, 2022 at 2:14 pm)GrandizerII Wrote: Is there a way to prove this algebraically without the use of calculus? And without resorting to 3d visual demos, which have caused me more confusion than clarity.

V =a^2 x h/3

Boru

That's the formula, but wondering about how to prove it.
I think you mean "derive" rather than "prove".

how to calculate the volume of a pyramid
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(March 3, 2022 at 2:35 pm)Fireball Wrote: I think you mean "derive" rather than "prove".

Ok, thanks, I'll see how I go with this.
(March 3, 2022 at 2:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

V =a^2 x h/3

Boru

Wrong at the beginning.

Pyramids are point upwards!

^
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 3, 2022 at 2:30 pm)GrandizerII Wrote:
(March 3, 2022 at 2:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: V =a^2 x h/3

Boru

That's the formula, but wondering about how to prove it.

You need a pyramid and a tape measure.
(March 3, 2022 at 3:21 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(March 3, 2022 at 2:30 pm)GrandizerII Wrote: That's the formula, but wondering about how to prove it.

You need a pyramid and a tape measure.

And as Dr Ben Carlson will tell you,  a lot of grain to fill the pyramid with so as to know its volume.

ROFLOL
(March 3, 2022 at 3:35 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(March 3, 2022 at 3:21 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: You need a pyramid and a tape measure.

And as Dr Ben Carlson will tell you,  a lot of grain to fill the pyramid with so as to know its volume.

ROFLOL

Grain doesn't work.

It has to be chickpeas and lentils.
(March 3, 2022 at 2:35 pm)Fireball Wrote: I think you mean "derive" rather than "prove".

I think he meant a geometric proof. Like, with the pythagorean theorem. There are "proofs" that show that the pythagorean theorem is indeed correct. -shrug- Poly might know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Volume of Extra Water From the Flood FallentoReason 18 9331 June 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris