Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Flood of 2022?
The Flood of 2022?
It's raining here (Iowa) with an NWS area flood watch. I drove over the Cedar River this past weekend and was surprised that it was already nearing flood stage.

Musing on the possibility of yet another natural disaster in Eastern Iowa this summer...
RE: The Flood of 2022?
The world has to rid itself of us somehow.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 22, 2022 at 7:56 am)Jehanne Wrote: It's raining here (Iowa) with an NWS area flood watch.  I drove over the Cedar River this past weekend and was surprised that it was already nearing flood stage.

Musing on the possibility of yet another natural disaster in Eastern Iowa this summer...

A few years back my sister-in-law's father's bar/restaurant got flooded.  I think it was mostly the basement of the building but I know the whole family was busy trying to get things cleaned up and back to functional.

My first father-in-law lost his home of decades when the dam at Delhi broke a few years back - his home was in Hopkinton so the damage was pretty darn extensive.

We were often flooded in when we lived in Dyersville.  Just down the hill from our house was a branch of the Maquoketa, it was the southern border of our property.  The only way out was going north onto gravel roads and circling around...not an easy task when your mode of transportation was a bicycle or your feet.  Somewhere I have photos of that flood...it was like being stranded on an island.

We have some screwy weather here in N Texas but I don't miss the flooding (we aren't near any water to speak of) and I DO NOT miss winter weather in general.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Had a few technician jobs in Delhi over the last few years, and the locals regaled me with stories of how the dam there broke; quite a mess, but fortunately, I don't think anyone died. My hometown of Sumner got flooded sometime during the last 10 years, the first time in its century-long history, and there is only a small creek that runs through the city.

Just curious, did you ever go to the Basilica in Dyersville?
(April 22, 2022 at 12:12 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Had a few technician jobs in Delhi over the last few years, and the locals regaled me with stories of how the dam there broke; quite a mess, but fortunately, I don't think anyone died.  My hometown of Sumner got flooded sometime during the last 10 years, the first time in its century-long history, and there is only a small creek that runs through the city.

Just curious, did you ever go to the Basilica in Dyersville?

That's the church I went to.  And the Catholic schools there from 6th grade on. 

I can't imagine anyone in Delhi needing tech support.  LOL.  A boyfriend of mine used to play in a band there now and then.  I have a sister-in-law who's lived there for years.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I worked at Paladin Brands; also, got married at the Basilica! Small World!! Things have definitely gone downhill in the area; convent mostly empty, as few young women these days want to become a religious sister.
(April 22, 2022 at 12:35 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I worked at Paladin Brands; also, got married at the Basilica!  Small World!!  Things have definitely gone downhill in the area; convent mostly empty, as few young women these days want to become a religious sister.

I didn't even get married at the Basilica.  

Very small world.

Yeah, when I was a freshman in high school we were still getting some new nuns...the convents in all the little towns were pretty full.  The last new nun we had was Sr. Pat.  Really liked her, one of the first to get away from the traditional habit...not that her polyester shift was a huge fashion statement.

A large swath from middle Texas through to southern Illinois is predicted to receive 2-4 inches of rain Saturday and Sunday, including here.  I'm all for it.  Bring the rivers up.  Good times.

The corps of engineers has been releasing water over the spillway for the last 3 weeks.  It's like they're trying to make room in Beaver to hold off releasing to potentially full reservoirs downstream later.  It's still only 5 ft. below flood pool.  Maybe they know something.  Maybe they're just dumb.  Not generating at all, which I don't understand.  But its better for spawning and water fowl to let the water reach the vegetation and brush.  Fuck the delta, let it rain.
(April 22, 2022 at 7:56 am)Jehanne Wrote: It's raining here (Iowa) with an NWS area flood watch.  I drove over the Cedar River this past weekend and was surprised that it was already nearing flood stage.

Be sure and confuse your local location, within your eyeshot ,weather as being the totality of the entire world. Hey, if the ancients can do it, so can you.

But, please, don't build a wooden boat, and after it is all over, don't make it a family affair. And don't ignore The Epic Of Gilgamesh. 

Just being silly. In all seriousness, climate change is making events like this more frequent. Even outside hurricanes here where I live, our tropical and general thunder storms cause flooding in certain areas, but I can tell you, I have been more scared of the thunderstorms than the hurricanes.
Hopefully you won't see anything like our 2019 flood. We're still recovering, some will never recover.

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2022 Very Merry Christmas thread!! Jehanne 7 703 December 27, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Qatar Football (Soccer) World Cup 2022 Jack8 72 5206 December 20, 2022 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  See Uranus and moon in binoculars, March 6, 2022 Jehanne 3 452 February 28, 2022 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  2022 predictions/resolutions brewer 23 960 January 1, 2022 at 8:48 am
Last Post: brewer