Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little question for all
A little question for all
If you're driving toward traffic lights and the lights turn orange, what thought goes through your head?

1. "I should slow down and prepare to stop."
2. "I need to speed up so I can get through before the lights turn red!"
3. Something else (specify).
Dying to live, living to die.
RE: A little question for all
(May 3, 2022 at 4:30 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: If you're driving toward traffic lights and the lights turn orange, what thought goes through your head?

1.  "I should slow down and prepare to stop."
2.  "I need to speed up so I can get through before the lights turn red!"
3.  Something else (specify).

#3 - 'Are there cops or cameras nearby?'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What's a red light? (I'm colour blind!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

'You said you knew how to drive - you said you watched me!'

'I watched you very carefully: Redlight - stop, green light - go, yellow light - go very fast.' - Karen Allen, Jeff Bridges in 'Starman'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Since living and commuting around the Dallas area, I get ready to stop and then check my rearview mirror to see if the car behind me is slowing down. In fact, since moving here, I watch the car behind me as much, or more, than the ones in front of beside me.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 3, 2022 at 4:30 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: If you're driving toward traffic lights and the lights turn orange, what thought goes through your head?

For me it comes down to many things.

Current speed. Am I zipping along at 80 Km/H and know I'm close enough that a quick acceleration will get me 'Over the line'?

Is it in a more residential area and every one's crawling along at 40 Km/H?

Has it been a really shitty day at work and it's "I simply don't have time for this bull-sheet. I'm going HOME!" sort of deal?

Usually... I'll slow down and prep for the change to red.

Great 

Not at work.
I try to watch the light and time it.  If I'm fairly sure it will turn red before I get there, I slow down and hope to still be rolling when it turns green again.  If it looks like I can make the light, I continue and set a point before which, if the light turns yellow, I stop, and after which, I floor it.  The general idea is to not waste fuel on a light that is going to stop me while rolling through all I can.
(May 3, 2022 at 5:41 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Since living and commuting around the Dallas area, I get ready to stop and then check my rearview mirror to see if the car behind me is slowing down.  In fact, since moving here, I watch the car behind me as much, or more, than the ones in front of beside me.

I am not angry enough to drive in Dallas, but I create my fair share in others.

My first thought would be, "What universe am I in that has orange traffic lights in it?"

In seriousness, though, I was running a yellow light once and the driver on the adjoining street pulled out before I was across. Nearly totaled my little Toyota. I'm a bit more conservative now.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm to old to play stop light games. What would I gain, one, maybe two minutes? What would I lose, potentially many things including including a clean pair of pants.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Known quotes from famous people... Brian37 7 451 January 5, 2020 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A little joke Sup 11 4307 April 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I would like to share a little quote from my 1999 "Teen Study Bible" No_God 9 2654 January 23, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: No_God
  Music made a little bit better Kayenneh 8 2109 June 22, 2013 at 11:33 am
Last Post: viocjit
  God's Funny Little Oversights Cinjin 0 3107 September 3, 2012 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Cinjin