Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etruscan language
Etruscan language
What do you guys think, would "Nac avil pulumχva falatul snuiaφ, aca Rasnal amuce ziv, nanatnam ica cnara." be good Etruscan for "The Etruscan language has been dead for years as numerous as the stars of heaven and nobody knows it."?

I got this on an Internet forum here, and it seems very plausible to me: https://www.reddit.com/r/ancientrome/com...&context=3

Nac - for (time)

avil - year; it goes in singular, as we can see in the phrase 'nac ci avil', 'for three years', attested on Pyrgi Tablets

pulumχva - stars; irregular plural (not with the suffix -ar-), attested also on Pyrgi Tablets

falatul - of the sky (genitive singular of "falatu")

snuiaφ - as numerous; the phrase 'pulumχva snuiaφ' meaning 'as numerous as stars' is attested on Pyrgi Tablets

aca - voice, (perhaps) language

Rasnal - Etruscan

amuce - has been; the perfect of ama (to be)

ziv - dead

nanatnam - "nana-tnam", "nana" meaning "nobody" and "tnam" being the suffix corresponding to Latin "-que".

ica - this

cnara - to know
RE: Etruscan language
Ni feidir liom cnag a thabhairt.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 10, 2022 at 11:27 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Ni feidir liom cnag a thabhairt.

Boru

What does that mean? Google Translate says it means "I cannot knock.", but that makes no sense.
(May 10, 2022 at 11:35 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(May 10, 2022 at 11:27 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Ni feidir liom cnag a thabhairt.

Boru

What does that mean? Google Translate says it means "I cannot knock.", but that makes no sense.

The ‘knock’ is a euphemism. Colloquially, it means ‘I’m unable to give a fuck.’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 10, 2022 at 11:38 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 10, 2022 at 11:35 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: What does that mean? Google Translate says it means "I cannot knock.", but that makes no sense.

The ‘knock’ is a euphemism. Colloquially, it means ‘I’m unable to give a fuck.’

Boru

I'm sorry you don't find Etruscan language fascinating.
(May 10, 2022 at 11:43 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(May 10, 2022 at 11:38 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The ‘knock’ is a euphemism. Colloquially, it means ‘I’m unable to give a fuck.’

Boru

I'm sorry you don't find Etruscan language fascinating.

I’m not.

Boru
Wow, we've moved from all things Latin to Etruscan.

Aren't there language forums out there somewhere?

Bound to be...this isn't one of them though.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Huh…?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
As someone with a keen interest in all things archaeological and associated disciplines, I saw 'Etruscan' in the title and thought this would be interesting...
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 10, 2022 at 5:11 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: As someone with a keen interest in all things archaeological and associated disciplines, I saw 'Etruscan' in the title and thought this would be interesting...

You fool.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ideologies, fiction, motifs & human language. Brian37 0 787 February 22, 2015 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Brian37