Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Energy Transmission Line Authorized
Green Energy Transmission Line Authorized
It’s A Start

Quote:The White House announced today that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) had issued the final approval for the construction of the 416-mile Energy Gateway South Transmission line. According to a press release from the BLM, this will permit at least 25 gigawatts of solar, wind, and geothermal production on public lands by 2025. The release also stated the project will support approximately 1,325 construction jobs and help integrate up to 2,000 megawatts of new renewable energy resources into the grid while also ensuring the reliability of existing generation resources.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Green Energy Transmission Line Authorized
Sorry to be cynical, but, it's just a fantasy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_i...ted_States

The seminal paper on catastrophic global warming was published in Science in May 1967, five months before my birth. Since then Western capitalism has expanded more and is releasing more greenhouse gases by metric ton into the atmosphere.
(May 29, 2022 at 12:50 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Sorry to be cynical, but, it's just a fantasy:

The seminal paper on catastrophic global warming was published in Science in May 1967, five months before my birth.  Since then Western capitalism has expanded more and is releasing more greenhouse gases by metric ton into the atmosphere.

Um, actually scientists as early as the 1890s calculated approximately  how much pollution we collectively release into the atmosphere globally every year. Even back that far some scientists were warning that increasing that pollution at a higher rate each year, and our planet is not keeping pace with it's ability to absorb it would cause lasting if not irreversible damage.
(May 29, 2022 at 12:50 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Sorry to be cynical, but, it's just a fantasy:

The seminal paper on catastrophic global warming was published in Science in May 1967, five months before my birth.  Since then Western capitalism has expanded more and is releasing more greenhouse gases by metric ton into the atmosphere.

Sorry, which bit is a fantasy? The transmission line? Renewable energy? Or the fact that if we don’t start doing something we’re all well and truly fucked?

The reason capitalists are beginning to go green is that they can make money by doing so - renewables are profitable, pure and simple. The US already gets about a fifth of its energy from non-fossil fuels. Warren Buffett isn’t known for backing losing propositions.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 29, 2022 at 1:01 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Um, actually scientists as early as the 1890s calculated approximately  how much pollution we collectively release into the atmosphere globally every year. Even back that far some scientists were warning that increasing that pollution at a higher rate each year, and our planet is not keeping pace with it's ability to absorb it would cause lasting if not irreversible damage.

You’re both right.

Boru
(May 29, 2022 at 12:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s A Start

Quote:The White House announced today that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) had issued the final approval for the construction of the 416-mile Energy Gateway South Transmission line. According to a press release from the BLM, this will permit at least 25 gigawatts of solar, wind, and geothermal production on public lands by 2025. The release also stated the project will support approximately 1,325 construction jobs and help integrate up to 2,000 megawatts of new renewable energy resources into the grid while also ensuring the reliability of existing generation resources.

Boru

The figure of “at least 25 gigawatts” seems to be deception.   The initial rating of the new line is only a little over 1000 megawatts,  or 1 gigawatts.   It is “expected” to increase to 6600 megawatts, or 6.6 gigawatts, by 2040.    

To put it in perspective, 25 gigawatts can supply the peak demand of New York City twice over and almost half of California’s peak demand. 

The physics of power flow on transmission lines, and the performance of some types of renewable generation such as wind and solar, but not geothermal, allows one to put out what is effectively boldfaced lies like 25 gigawatts that relies on a 1% truth admixture to deflect charges of intention to deceive.
(May 29, 2022 at 1:12 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(May 29, 2022 at 12:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s A Start

Boru

The figure of “at least 25 gigawatts” seems to be deception.   The initial rating of the new line is only a little over 1000 megawatts,  or 1 gigawatts.   It is “expected” to increase to 6600 megawatts, or 6.6 gigawatts, by 2040.    

The physics of power flow on transmission lines, and the performance of types of renewable generation such as wind and solar, but not geothermal, allows one to put out what is effectively boldfaced lies that relies on a 1% truth admixture to deflect charges of intention to deceive.

Do you understand the difference between ‘power transmission’ and ‘power production’? The amount of power produced has absolutely nothing to do with the carrying capacity of the transmission lines.

Boru
(May 29, 2022 at 1:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Sorry, which bit is a fantasy? The transmission line? Renewable energy? Or the fact that if we don’t start doing something we’re all well and truly fucked?

The reason capitalists are beginning to go green is that they can make money by doing so - renewables are profitable, pure and simple. The US already gets about a fifth of its energy from non-fossil fuels. Warren Buffett isn’t known for backing losing propositions.

Boru

The "It's a start...".
(May 29, 2022 at 1:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 29, 2022 at 1:12 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: The figure of “at least 25 gigawatts” seems to be deception.   The initial rating of the new line is only a little over 1000 megawatts,  or 1 gigawatts.   It is “expected” to increase to 6600 megawatts, or 6.6 gigawatts, by 2040.    

The physics of power flow on transmission lines, and the performance of types of renewable generation such as wind and solar, but not geothermal, allows one to put out what is effectively boldfaced lies that relies on a 1% truth admixture to deflect charges of intention to deceive.

Do you understand the difference between ‘power transmission’ and ‘power production’? The amount of power produced has absolutely nothing to do with the carrying capacity of the transmission lines.

Boru

Yes, I work in the field for a living, and transmission and production has absolutely everything to do one with the other.   How do you think bulk of power gets from where it is produced to where it is consumed?    And why do you think the transmission line facilitates production?

Real transmission systems are not configured so loosening one binding transmission constraint by 1 GW will allow 25GW of additional load to be served across the network.
(May 29, 2022 at 1:01 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

It's true that scientists, such as Arrhenius, performed some early calculations, but he thought that a warmer earth would be a benefit to Humanity.  After that, scientific research on global warming diminished, was revived by an amateur scientist in World War II (Guy Stewart Callendar), and with the advent of computers, modeling of the Earth's atmosphere became more sophisticated in the 1960s.  Lyndon B. Johnson, during a State of the Union speech, discussed the issue of catastrophic climate change, after one of his speech writers inserted the text into his speech.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free energy for realz! ignoramus 11 1356 November 26, 2019 at 7:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why do Rechargable Batteries Lose Their Capacity to Held Energy? Rhondazvous 6 1565 October 27, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda