Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Homeschool Event Horizon
The Homeschool Event Horizon
It's been a thing, it's been a journey....but my homeschooled kids are rapidly approaching the home school event horizon (high school).  Any more, and we harm their ability to compete for state and federal scholarships, regardless of the relative quality of their education.  It's time to shit or get off the pot.   Anybody else on this path with input? Resources, links, programs? I'm at the end of my personal ability to confidently educate. My pocket (accredited) high school educator is unreliable, and not committed to her {completely voluntary} occupation. The Wife would prefer...strongly prefer...not to send them to public schools. She's both economically and ideologically opposed to catholic schools which we have an in with. Same schools that made me. Options? Specifically, options with a social component. We feel they need to be exposed to and work within a group that isn't just them and their siblings. We're missing the social and economic aspect of public and private/public schooling. 4h has been a bust. Summer programs..a bust.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: The Homeschool Event Horizon
We had neighbors who homeschooled when we lived in SC and were the type who thought any parents that didn't were mistreating their kids. They didn't want them exposed to worldly folk.

As it turns out all three kids were awful when it came to interacting with the other kids in the neighbothood and when the oldest went off to a college that mostly takes homeschoolers...her 'education' turned out to be getting knocked up right out of the gate. (We won't talk about the mysterious son on the dad who showed up that neither the kids or the high and mighty mom didn't know anything about.)

I think the social aspects of school are super important. Kids are likely not going to grow up and remain with only their siblings for interaction.

Not sure how the schools are where you are but you know that you can't provide a chemistry lab and the discipline needed to move on to college.

You can always change paths for one or all depending on your experiences.

Catholic school provided me with a decent education but back then they were more about how many kids they get into college and less about preaching. My nephew when to Catholic school becuase he was a damn dork and they chewed him up and spit him out in public school. He needed smaller classes and more individualized teaching.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We should have a forum event Foxaèr 9 746 August 31, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Setting up TV remotes, a "Kill me" event. Brian37 35 1889 September 30, 2021 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Homeschool Academy The Grand Nudger 32 2130 December 28, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: brewer