Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about polytheistic gods
Question about polytheistic gods
I have been doing some reading about the different gods from various traditions like Hinduism, Greek pantheon, Roman, pantheon, and the Norse. I have been fascinated by how many of those polytheistic religions have their own gods but usually each god has a counterpart in the other traditions.

This is my question… I am curious about learning more in how these gods manifested into being venerated. Are they just stories based off of humans that lived with exaggerated myths attached? Were humans living with other humans without understanding DNA and speciation and looking at fellow humans in a godly way?

I hope that question makes sense. Take Artemis for example. Did someone just pull out of their ass the myth about her, or was there really a human living amongst the elite that had exaggerated tales written about her?
RE: Question about polytheistic gods
(November 29, 2022 at 7:37 am)Won2blv Wrote: was there really a human living amongst the elite that had exaggerated tales written about her?

A lot of the ancient Greeks believed this about their own mythology. It's called euhemerism, after an early proponent of the view, Euhemerus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euhemerism

Nobody really knows.

Since polytheistic systems (especially the Greeks) tend to be a hodge-podge that fit together imperfectly over time, I suspect that there is no single answer to your question.
RE: Question about polytheistic gods
(November 29, 2022 at 7:51 am)Belacqua Wrote: Since polytheistic systems (especially the Greeks) tend to be a hodge-podge that fit together imperfectly over time, I suspect that there is no single answer to your question.

God the Father alone knows the timing of the Day of the Lord.  God the Son does not know this (Mark 13:32 - But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.)

God the Son alone has a mother, and he must honor her or be in violation of one of the Ten Commandments.

God the Holy Spirit alone is protected from blasphemy by making it an unforgivable sin.  God the Father and God the Son do not enjoy such protection.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hinduism - Millions of Gods Forsaken 56 24463 September 19, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Norse Gods are the Real Deal The Valkyrie 37 11142 July 15, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Child Sacrificed; Liver offered to Gods (India) Handprint 10 4920 June 25, 2012 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  “Inuma ilu awilu,” When gods [were] men. dtango 13 8680 June 12, 2012 at 4:09 am
Last Post: Epimethean