Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] A true Christmas story.
A true Christmas story.
On Saturday my wife was at Dollar General, and just after getting out of the car, a SUV pulled up alongside her, and a woman got out, handing my wife an envelope telling her, "Merry Christmas". My wife thanked the person, who got back in their SUV, which drove away. My wife put the envelope in her purse, thinking it was some religious card "about Jesus". Later, after opening it, she found a simple, non-religious card with a $100 bill.

We have no idea who the two individuals were in the SUV, except that they were likely wealthy. In my opinion, this was an instance of amazing secular giving!
RE: A true Christmas story.
My favourite personal Christmas story: 

The farm where I grew up was the extended family base for holiday celebrations - centrally located, plenty of spare rooms, that sort of thing.

One Christmas Eve, about 50 or so people were in one of the barns, which had been cleaned and extensively decorated for the event. In the midst of all the music, eating, drinking, and dancing, one of our sheep dogs bolted into the barn, snatch the Infant out of the manger and bolted back out.

To this day, I cherish the memory of Mum chasing Trixie (the dog), while shouting, ‘BRING BACK THAT GODDAM CHRIST CHILD!!’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've already given away $100 plus to quickshop employees that I know, will continue when I catch them. Mail and sanitation are on the list also. We have plans for a couple of the neighbors also.

(this reminds me, I need to hit the atm, nothing says 'christmas' like cash, it's what jesus wanted)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I need to get some cash too. The young lady who trims the dogs' nails is coming over Friday morning. I really appreciate her help.

Come to think of it, I used to buy food packages for people in the area when I went to the grocery in November and December but since I do pickup now, I haven't. I should pop in the store this week and pay for a couple of them.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 19, 2022 at 6:08 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I need to get some cash too.  The young lady who trims the dogs' nails is coming over Friday morning.  I really appreciate her help.

Come to think of it, I used to buy food packages for people in the area when I went to the grocery in November and December but since I do pickup now, I haven't.  I should pop in the store this week and pay for a couple of them.

I'd like to gift the Amazon/UPS/FedX guys also but they are like ghosts.
(December 19, 2022 at 10:13 pm)brewer Wrote:
(December 19, 2022 at 6:08 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I need to get some cash too.  The young lady who trims the dogs' nails is coming over Friday morning.  I really appreciate her help.

Come to think of it, I used to buy food packages for people in the area when I went to the grocery in November and December but since I do pickup now, I haven't.  I should pop in the store this week and pay for a couple of them.

I'd like to gift the Amazon/UPS/FedX guys also but they are like ghosts.

The Amazon and UPS guys get here fairly late.  Like we just got a large delivery of dog food and household products.

Fedex seems to show up during daylight hours.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 19, 2022 at 10:16 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(December 19, 2022 at 10:13 pm)brewer Wrote: I'd like to gift the Amazon/UPS/FedX guys also but they are like ghosts.

The Amazon and UPS guys get here fairly late.  Like we just got a large delivery of dog food and household products.

Fedex seems to show up during daylight hours.

Our deliverys are drop and dash, all times of the day/night, don't even ring the bell or knock. Completely understandable, they have a very tight schedule. Amazon and FedX are usually different people. The UPS guy is always the same. I still want to gift any that I can, that's got to be a tough-thankless job.

Side note: the boy just told me he wants a new microphone for work/school. Off to Best Buy in the morning.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Never ending story: add 3 words! robvalue 9620 511536 August 21, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  2022 Very Merry Christmas thread!! Jehanne 7 690 December 27, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1113 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Learn the true mersey Angrboda 7 463 March 18, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1117 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 669 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Merry Christmas!! Jehanne 10 707 December 26, 2021 at 8:28 am
Last Post: brewer
  Brace yourselves... Christmas is coming! T.J. 71 2729 December 25, 2021 at 11:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Christmas decorations 2021 pics brewer 21 1636 December 13, 2021 at 8:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Skins vs plastic, a loaded potato story. Brian37 40 2179 December 30, 2020 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4