Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Section 230
Section 230
Let's hear your thoughts about the things SCOTUS will soon decide about Section 230!

Personally, I am afraid.

I am a Reddit user, and Reddit relies on upvotes to work.

I am also afraid what will happen with Github stars. I think they are a nice feature, but I guess they are legally almost identical to Reddit upvotes. GitHub can continue working without GitHub stars, but they are a form of communication that you are doing something good. My AEC-to-WebAssembly compiler has 21 GitHub stars, which is a sign that people like that.
RE: Section 230
(February 19, 2023 at 2:05 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Let's hear your thoughts about the things SCOTUS will soon decide about Section 230!

Personally, I am afraid.

I am also afraid what will happen with Github stars. I think they are a nice feature, but I guess they are legally almost identical to Reddit upvotes. GitHub can continue working without GitHub stars, but they are a form of communication that you are doing something good. My AEC-to-WebAssembly compiler has 21 GitHub stars, which is a sign that people like that.

I don’t understand your concerns. Section 230 prevents online platforms from being sued over third party content. What’s that got to do with upvotes?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Are you serious? Gold stars concern you enough to make not one, but two, posts about them?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 19, 2023 at 2:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 19, 2023 at 2:05 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Let's hear your thoughts about the things SCOTUS will soon decide about Section 230!

Personally, I am afraid.

I don’t understand your concerns. Section 230 prevents online platforms from being sued over third party content. What’s that got to do with upvotes?

Boru

What SCOTUS will soon decide is whether somebody can sue you for upvoting something on social media such as Reddit, right?
[Image: 1IiuEqx.jpg]

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I'm more concerned about Section 233, which will legalise down votes and make gold stars the sole property of the US Government.
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 19, 2023 at 2:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Personally, I am afraid.

Boru
See this article for detailed explanation: https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/02...ez-reddit/
(February 19, 2023 at 2:13 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Are you serious? Gold stars concern you enough to make not one, but two, posts about them?

I think the entire open source software movement has started revolving around GitHub stars. How else do you think developers find open source tools to use, as well as projects to contribute to?
(February 19, 2023 at 2:41 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(February 19, 2023 at 2:13 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Are you serious?  Gold stars concern you enough to make not one, but two, posts about them?

I think the entire open source software movement has started revolving around GitHub stars. How else do you think developers find open source tools to use, as well as projects to contribute to?

I think you should be worried about your schooling.  And taking your meds.

(February 19, 2023 at 2:42 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(February 19, 2023 at 2:41 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: I think the entire open source software movement has started revolving around GitHub stars. How else do you think developers find open source tools to use, as well as projects to contribute to?

I think you should be worried about your schooling.  And taking your meds.

I think employers care at least as much about your GitHub profile as they do about your schooling.