Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Christian
Ex-Christian
Hi Smile

I was an adult convert to Christianity, and then spent 20 years within the church as a very active member. I wanted to be a minister, gained a degree in Christian Theology, and taught Religious Studies for some years.

As I studied I had to keep changing my theological position in the light of better arguments, new evidence, and my lived experience. Christianity was unpleasant and difficult. I became more and more liberal, painfully facing theological, ethical, and biblical issue after issue after issue. It is like spinning plates - as soon as you find some apologetic for one issue, then the knock-on ramifications of that 'solution' cause some other dogma to wobble and you have to 'solve' that, and so on.

At some point it all became too ridiculous and tiring to continue. There were simply too many wobbling plates, too much evidence against, too many problems. And it was just best to let them all fall and go do something else with my life.

And so I did. It was a hard long process that slow erosion of my faith. Not easy. And I have great sympathy with those who struggle in that way. I have ex-Christian friends who are still scared of hell years later. And the negative effects of religious abuse, or poor faith-informed life choices still haunts them (as it does me).

And it's not easy being outside of all faiths now either. Although in many ways it opened up new vistas of freedom and liberty, and removed many burdens of guilt and cognitive dissonance, it came with its own burdens of felt absence and loss - and the nihilistic, physicalist universe I now accept as the most likely accurate view of reality holds little comfort and much horror.

It seems you cannot really win, and I appreciate how hard it is to de-convert and how hard it can be for some to face the nature of reality without faith.

So that's me, and why I'm here, I guess Smile

Feel free to ask question or make comments.
RE: Ex-Christian
(August 10, 2023 at 7:49 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: ...

And it's not easy being outside of all faiths now either.  Although in many ways it opened up new vistas of freedom and liberty, and removed many burdens of guilt and cognitive dissonance, it came with its own burdens of felt absence and loss - and the nihilistic, physicalist universe I now accept as the most likely accurate view of reality holds little comfort and much horror.

It seems you cannot really win, and I appreciate how hard it is to de-convert and how hard it can be for some to face the nature of reality without faith.

So that's me, and why I'm here, I guess Smile

Feel free to ask question or make comments.

For me the most difficult part is dealing with my Catholic family.  So I embarked on something of a double life.  But that looks more and more unnecessary as time goes on and my own relatives, especially the younger ones, live in such a way that makes it hard to tell they really are Catholic.
Yes. I don't think my religious relatives are aware of my views these days, though given the many other changes in my lifestyle they must suspect. Very much a don't ask/ don't tell policy with my family. But I'm fortunate they've been able to take it all in their stride Smile
I was lucky in that my parents weren't religious. They tried ordering me to go to church on Sunday morning while they slept in. I dutifully left the house and hung out with a friend until I saw cars leaving the church parking lot.
Where are the tacos?
I had a don't ask don't tell policy, but eventually someone asked....
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Yes. I guess that does happen.
I'm not sure to what degree I'm prepared to lie to save their suffering. Especially since my parents are quite elderly now. I think they understand that it's best for everyone they simply don't ask too many direct questions as I have always tended towards blunt honesty. I guess I'll find out in time.
I was required to go to "a religious service of your choice" while I was in boot camp, c. 1969. Loved it, unless they started singing. That always woke me up.
We had a choice when I was in basic. You could go to church on Sunday mornings or you could clean the barracks...only time I have ever signed up for cleaning.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 10, 2023 at 7:18 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: We had a choice when I was in basic.  You could go to church on Sunday mornings or you could clean the barracks...only time I have ever signed up for cleaning.

What year was that?

I had a CPO that required us to read the tracts his church sponsored. I refused. He traded me for a guy another chief was trying to get rid of.
The bible thumper relied on prayer and his whole team was slaughtered to a man. Being an atheist saved my life.