Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soteriology
Soteriology
Why would an all-powerful and all-knowing God become flesh in order to sacrifice himself to himself so that his creation might escape the wrath of himself?  Couldn't God, in His infinite wisdom, come up with something a little more efficient?
RE: Soteriology
Efficiency? Is that what this is about? I don't think it is.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
The standard xtian answer is that God's plan is the best.
Legalism and the relative value of a sacrificial victim to the hoped for end of the magic spell. Basically, god tied his own nuts into knots and this is what it looks like when one of his dictates needs to be clawed back or modified. Killing any old human being couldn't break the curse, and the curse was a law of the universe -binding to all of the cosmos as every one of gods utterances is, even to god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 20, 2023 at 7:27 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Legalism and the relative value of a sacrificial victim to the hoped for end of the magic spell.   Basically, god tied his own nuts into knots and this is what it looks like when one of his dictates needs to be clawed back or modified.  Killing any old human being couldn't break the curse, and the curse was a law of the universe -binding to all of the cosmos as every one of gods utterances is, even to god.

Jesus knew he was antagonizing the Powers That Be, but he didn't think God would let them go so far as to actually crucify him.  He thought God would step in at the last moment and take direct control of human history.  Didn't work out that way.  Embarrassing to his followers. Paul came in a few years later with his rebranding campaign and we got the sacrifice narrative.
(October 20, 2023 at 4:24 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: The standard xtian answer is that God's plan is the best.

Second best, according to anyone praying to God asking him to change something he's currently doing or allowing to happen.
(October 20, 2023 at 8:20 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(October 20, 2023 at 4:24 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: The standard xtian answer is that God's plan is the best.

Second best, according to anyone praying to God asking him to change something he's currently doing or allowing to happen.

Depends. You could easily believe that God's plan was that what happens depends upon the free will of agents, including their choice to pray.
(October 20, 2023 at 9:55 am)FrustratedFool Wrote:
(October 20, 2023 at 8:20 am)LinuxGal Wrote: Second best, according to anyone praying to God asking him to change something he's currently doing or allowing to happen.

Depends.  You could easily believe that God's plan was that what happens depends upon the free will of agents, including their choice to pray.

[Image: r.gif]
(October 20, 2023 at 8:20 am)LinuxGal Wrote:

I know an embarrasingly incompetent person who prays in the name of Jesus for every random little thing. Nice dude, but I have no idea why he bothers doing this. Jesus very obviously doesn't give a shit what happens to people.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(October 20, 2023 at 10:24 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(October 20, 2023 at 8:20 am)LinuxGal Wrote: Second best, according to anyone praying to God asking him to change something he's currently doing or allowing to happen.

I know an embarrasingly incompetent person who prays in the name of Jesus for every random little thing. Nice dude, but I have no idea why he bothers doing this. Jesus very obviously doesn't give a shit what happens to people.

Not amazingly different from there being no God.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]