Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who counts as queer?
Who counts as queer?
Inspired by a recent IG post:

Who/what counts as 'queer' (ie part of the LGBTQ+) spectrum?

Note: I'm not asking whether it matters, or whether anyone should care, I'm simply asking who belongs (and by extension what the criteria are).

My opinion: all non-harmful sexualities outside of alloheterosexual, all genders other than cisman/woman are clearly inside (to me).

I tend towards also including sexual relationships that are outside of the monogamous mainstream (so might well include polyamory) and possibly also lifestyle fetishism, though this is not so clear to me (if you have a good argument for/against please present it).

Thoughts?
RE: Who counts as queer?
I have no idea.

Seems like it is a catch all for anyone who isn't specifically defined by the other parameters.

But again, I really haven't got a clue.
Everyone is queer, if you use your imagination.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Who/what counts as 'queer' (ie part of the LGBTQ+) spectrum?

Maybe just people who are at least proud that they are different. I'm gay as fuck and I still wouldn't consider myself "queer"
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(October 30, 2023 at 7:21 am)Ahriman Wrote:
Quote:Who/what counts as 'queer' (ie part of the LGBTQ+) spectrum?

Maybe just people who are at least proud that they are different. I'm gay as fuck and I still wouldn't consider myself "queer"

Queer was being used as a synonym for the LGBTQ+ spectrum.

I'm asking who/what do you think belongs under that umbrella.
This guy

[Image: 62e666b53edf333073b93882a240afdf8f434937.gif]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 30, 2023 at 5:47 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Inspired by a recent IG post:

Note: I'm not asking whether it matters, or whether anyone should care, I'm simply asking who belongs (and by extension what the criteria are).

My opinion: all non-harmful sexualities outside of alloheterosexual, all genders other than cisman/woman are clearly inside (to me).

I tend towards also including sexual relationships that are outside of the monogamous mainstream (so might well include polyamory) and possibly also lifestyle fetishism, though this is not so clear to me (if you have a good argument for/against please present it).

Thoughts?

You seem obsessed with labels.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 30, 2023 at 7:36 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(October 30, 2023 at 5:47 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Inspired by a recent IG post:

Thoughts?

You seem obsessed with labels.

I'm interested in labels and interested in the cultural and political discussion (and real world consequences) that arise from debates over labels.

I don't think I qualify as obsessed about anything.

Does my interest in labels and discussion and bother you?
I made an observation.

If your posts bother me isn't part of that observation.

Does being asked questions bother you?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 30, 2023 at 7:45 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I made an observation.  

If your posts bother me isn't part of that observation.

Does being asked questions bother you?

Yes, if the observation (and related question) is easily read as a character attack.  The word 'obsessed' is loaded.  Your message was written such that it read as an insult.

I would characterise your post as being rude.
It also seems a derail from the OP.
I see no reason why you act in such a manner.  It seems unprovoked.

Regardless, I'm happy to discuss any issue related to the OP you wish to raise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Take it, queer-boy!" A story of the Heretic being physically assaulted. Creed of Heresy 75 15093 April 14, 2015 at 11:30 am
Last Post: John V
  Craven ploy to run up your post and kudos counts vorlon13 50 8233 September 22, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  A queer habit sven 24 4632 April 30, 2014 at 8:21 am
Last Post: ManMachine