Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific facts that freak me out.
Scientific facts that freak me out.
When I say "freak me out" I mean in a good way, in a "WOW" that is neat/weird/counter intuitive way. 

1. Color is in light, not objects. I accept it, but when I first learned this it freaked me out. 

2. If you could go as fast as the speed of light from your point of view you would be standing still. 

3. Time moves slower the closer you are to earth's surface and faster the further away. There is a calculable difference say being at the top of the Burj Khalifa building vs being at the shore of Miami beach. 

4. But I just learned this last night for the first time watching a short clip of Neil deGrasse Tyson's star talk. The bottom of your tire, even when your vehicle is in motion, is moving at 0mph. The top of your tire is moving up to 2x the speed of the vehicle itself. 

5. You could fit almost 5 billion of our suns in to the sphere of the largest known star(so far) UY Scuti. 

What scientific facts freak you out in a good way?
RE: Scientific facts that freak me out.
I am still confused and bewildered about how fax machines work.

edit to add all the words I meant

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 8, 2023 at 11:37 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I am still confused and bewildered about fax machines work.

I still do not understand why fax machines are still around when we have email.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 8, 2023 at 11:38 am)Foxaèr Wrote:
(November 8, 2023 at 11:37 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I am still confused and bewildered about fax machines work.

I still do not understand why fax machines are still around when we have email.

That is also confusing, but some companies still want faxes.  I can easily scan and email just about anything that I can't produce digitally.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The freakiest thing about science is the fucking clowns that deny it. The absolute imbeciles who benefit from it every single day, yet when it deviates from their backwards logic, it is quickly labeled as junk.
6. The sheer size and age of the universe and things in it.
(November 8, 2023 at 11:33 am)Brian37 Wrote: When I say "freak me out" I mean in a good way, in a "WOW" that is neat/weird/counter intuitive way. 

1. Color is in light, not objects. I accept it, but when I first learned this it freaked me out. 

2. If you could go as fast as the speed of light from your point of view you would be standing still. 

3. Time moves slower the closer you are to earth's surface and faster the further away. There is a calculable difference say being at the top of the Burj Khalifa building vs being at the shore of Miami beach. 

4. But I just learned this last night for the first time watching a short clip of Neil deGrasse Tyson's star talk. The bottom of your tire, even when your vehicle is in motion, is moving at 0mph. The top of your tire is moving up to 2x the speed of the vehicle itself. 

5. You could fit almost 5 billion of our suns in to the sphere of the largest known star(so far) UY Scuti. 

What scientific facts freak you out in a good way?

Get the duct tape out and start wrapping up your head so you can find all the pieces 

To think, god created all of these things

Praise!

Quantum uncertainty trips me out.

That there is no such thing as a fish. I understand why, but it’s still a freaky concept.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 8, 2023 at 11:33 am)Brian37 Wrote: 1. Color is in light, not objects. I accept it, but when I first learned this it freaked me out. 
A white object reflects most wavelengths of light that you can see with your naked eyes. Black objects absorb most of the light that hits them. So all the colors we see are the rejects from the object that the broad spectrum of light hits. Those wavelengths will be different if the back of your eye isn't like a, say, iguana.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientific Dating Blondie 22 3999 October 21, 2015 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life magizines "Greatest scientific thinker of our time" franca 6 5887 October 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman