Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 10:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Drug Regimen
New Drug Regimen
I've been recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and put on a drug called Metformin. I'm taking my first dose this afternoon. It has been recommended that I take it with meals and I'm having lunch now. The doctor told me that I'd experience some bloating and diarrhea until my body adjusts to the medicine. I'd like to know if anyone here has been on this regimen. How severe are the initial side effects and how long do they persist?  Huh
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: New Drug Regimen
My wife has type 2 and has been on metformin for several years with very few side effects (recently started on insulin injections, less than fun but do seem to keeping things under control)
The thing is, every body is different, but based on sample size of one I wouldn't worry too much
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I was on it for about a year and a half with no side effects. I subsequently lowered my A1C through diet changes and weight loss and stopped taking it about 3 months ago.

I don't remember being warned about side effects.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(July 19, 2024 at 1:51 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: My wife has type 2 and has been on metformin for several years with very few side effects (recently started on insulin injections, less than fun but do seem to keeping things under control)
The thing is, every body is different, but based on sample size of one I wouldn't worry too much

^^^ what he said. Metformin is typically the first oral given for type 2 (most prescribed). If there side effects your doc can change, there are many other alternatives.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
My wife has been taking it for years, and has never mentioned having any problems with it.
I made two bowel movements yesterday. They were both normal. The only symptom I've experienced from this drug, so far, is some mild flatulence. I'll start taking the full daily dose at the end of the month.  FSM Grin
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(July 21, 2024 at 8:02 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: I made two bowel movements yesterday. They were both normal. The only symptom I've experienced from this drug, so far, is some mild flatulence. I'll start taking the full daily dose at the end of the month.  FSM Grin

I'll think of this as 'old fart' validation.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I need glasses; I thought you were wanting new drag attire.

I started taking the full dose of Metformin a few days ago, which is one 500 mg. tablet twice a day. I haven't experienced any negative side effects. I seem to be having a slight loss of appetite, however. I take the first tablet with milk and/or coffee in the morning and have my usual lunch. I take the second tablet at suppertime. By late afternoon, I don't have my usual appetite for supper and have only a glass of milk and, maybe, a bit of cottage cheese. Some patients have reported weight loss while on this drug, which I wouldn't mind. My arthritis would be a lot better if I could drop about 50 pounds.
Apparently, the Metformin and changes in my diet are working. My glucose readings have been gradually coming down. I got a reading of 123 this morning, about three hours after breakfast. The normal range for a man of my age and weight is between 90 and 125. Clap

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need mental and drug health resources Won2blv 5 660 March 26, 2022 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: TaraJo